Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Multiplayer maddness

Hi guys, Im new to the forums but have worked my way through the Whole Combat Mission series.

Trying to play against my old mate and adversary. Is there a definitive guide to multiplay for idiots ?

Both of us are behind routers (As I suspect are many players) so the game provides the IP for the local network

Have tried Hamachi (S?) but with one exception connection has been really slow. Though when it worked it worked really well.

1. So how do I/we get the PC's to see each other directly ?

2. or How the heck do you get Hamachi to go faster ??

3. is there an idiots guide somewhere.

We are in different countrys. Good ping times between us. Fly IL2 online together (via server) Skype works really well, really frustrating !

all help really appreciated

Nick

P.S. done the search thing on these boards maybe I missed something ?

hi Nick,

OK, a few things to check here. Have you 'opened up' the CM port (7023 or something) on your router via the port forwarding section? Simply add an entry here if not.

The next trick is to find out your 'real' IP :)

It took me a while to figure it out but I was using the internal IP assigned and not the outer world IP address...so my opponent was unable to connect.

This outer world IP address can be found in one of the many router tabs/pages, check them all and use the IP address which looks unlike the internal one :)

Hope this helps.

David

Thanks Dave, I managed to find my outside/routers IP address but CMSF wont connect to it from my friends PC...its not offered as the IP address in game, which is clearly the local network one. All I need to know is how the heck do I come up with a connection ?? very frustrating Thanks for helping though.

Port 7023 is open though. We have managed to connect in the past, but this interal ip thing is very confusing

Hi Nick,

Hmmm, so you managed to connect in the past, interesting.

Sometimes, the IP address changes...especially at home with a local network. I found that checking the local IP address's via cmd/ ipconfig, against the IP address entry in the port forwarding table was a good place to start.

It has happened to me a lot, so if there are any connection issues, I check to see what my internal IP is currently (ipconfig) then open up the router and check to see if this IP matches the IP number I have port 7023 mapped to :) Frustrating, but once you learn to check for it, saves a lot of head scratching.

If this all matches on your side, get your mate to check his side too.

Let me know if this is the case

Cheers

David