New Infantry

prlugo

about the mtl files:

did you use the OBJ format to export to 3DSmax? mtl files are created to store the material information, while the geometry information is stored in the OBJ file.

The strange position of the collision shapes is probably caused by the corresponding "attaching" line in the hier.him (the matrix probably is indicating a 90° rotation of the part). try changing it to see if you can orient the parts correctly again.

As for the unwrap problem: there is no other way to fix texture coordinates. But it should not be too long, as you just have to unwrap the helmet (if this is the only thing you modified); the body UV coordinates are most probably already correctly mapped.

Dont get discouraged; if you've come this far, you've already done the most difficult part. I'm ready to help any time if you need.

-Knokke

prlugo,

I had a better look at the infantry models and they are very different from the other models in game. Theses models are probably exported through a plug-in that we don't have, so I'm not really sure that we can create really new soldier models without having a plug-in to export the model 3D information and the skinning (by that I mean the weighting of the model's vertices to the bones).

What you should try to do is create an msh file of your modified soldier as if it was a normal static object, and combine it with the data of an msh file of the one of the soldiers in the modpack by combining the two in notepad (replacing the data of the modpack soldier's msh with your msh data, and keeping the parts that your msh does not have.

It would involve replacing all the faces/uv/texture with your own while keeping all the data pertaining to the skeleton and weight of vertices to the bones that are not in your msh.

I'm not sure if this would work, but this is the only thing I can think of.

soldiers models are probably not setup from an mcn file, but perhaps from the vbl file.

You'll need to heavily edit the msh file of your model in notepad, to remove all the objects that are uneeded for a soldier msh, and to do a massive renaming of objects after the conversion (delete all the shadow, center, visibility, unneeded hooks and collision spheres; rename all the hook objects with the names required for a soldier model)

To create a new msh of your soldier model, I would try to use an mcn file created with the house (Zmey) script

[_ROOT_]

MipMeshDistances 10 20 70 140 // (whatever values you want)

[x0y0_dam0]

WriteMesh x0y0_dam0 // theses would be your body object and lods

ShowObjects0 x0y0_dam0_l0

ShowObjects1 x0y0_dam0_l1

ShowObjects2 x0y0_dam0_l2

ShowObjects3 x0y0_dam0_l3

ShowObjects4 x0y0_dam0_l4

ShowObjects5 none

HookObject Bip01

HookObject Pelvis

HookObject Spine

HookObject Spine1

HookObject Neck

...etc (all the skeleton hooks)

[c_x0y0_dam0]

Parent Center

WriteMesh c_x0y0_dam0

ShowObjects0 c_x0y0_dam0

ShowObjects1 none

CollisionObject collision1_x0y0_dam0 spine1

CollisionObject collision2_x0y0_dam0 l_hand

CollisionObject collision3_x0y0_dam0 l_forearm

CollisionObject collision4_x0y0_dam0 l_upperarm

CollisionObject collision5_x0y0_dam0 r_hand

CollisionObject collision6_x0y0_dam0 r_forearm

CollisionObject collision7_x0y0_dam0 r_upperarm

up to 7 collision shapes

(biggest problem will be limitation of the script to 7 collision shapes; it means you'll have to create dummy bones to accomodate the extra collision shapes).

For each c_x?y?_dam0 dummy bone, you need one corresponding x?y?_dam0 main mesh (only one lod)

//dummy bones for the extra collision shapes (7 maximum for each bone):

[c_x0y1_dam0]

Parent Center

WriteMesh c_x0y1_dam0

ShowObjects0 c_x0y1_dam0

ShowObjects1 none

CollisionObject collision1_x0y1_dam0 neck

CollisionObject collision2_x0y1_dam0 head

CollisionObject collision3_x0y1_dam0 l_foot

etc... up to seven collision shapes

[c_x0y2_dam0] will be your next dummy bones for the other collision shape, with a related [x0y2_dam0] mesh (an object with only one face will do)

Be aware that the script will require creating objects that you don't need (the x0y1_dam0, x0y2_dam0 etc... mesh and others related meshes for shadows. The script will tell you if you missed creating one such object. You can delete them from the msh0000.tse file later before converting to msh.

for the Hook objects, you need to use window hooks temporarily (as the script will not recognise any other hooks). Simply rename your skeleton hooks so that the names comply with the windows naming conventions (window01, window01_d, window01_w0y0_dam0 etc...). You can rename them later in the mesh0000.tse file and give them again the correct name required for the skeleton hooks.

You can delete in the same way the shadow objects that the script requires

Really, I don't know if any of this could be working, but this is the only way I can think of, since we've no scriot to export soldiers.

prlugo,

in MshConverter, try before exporting to msh to change U scale or V scale to -1 in the Save Options tab; it should correct the problem with your texture (you need to change the scale to -1 to flip the texture, so that it fits the model perfectly)

When i exported the 3ds file from the original msh file (before 3dsmax work) my "save options" setup was:

U offset 0

V offset -1

U scale 1

V scale -1

(It was an help info from guys of the balance mod) In 3dsmax all textures maps were in the right place but not for the msh converter. I think i must re-tresform the model but i don't know how to set the save options in msh converter. Any suggestions?

when exporting from MshConverter to 3DSmax, the textures should be in the right place. The only time I had problem with the textures was when I exported back from *.3DS to *.msh with MshConverter without changing the U scale to -1. If you don't change this value, chances are that the texture will be reversed in ToW.