AT4 bug in 1.21?

acrashb

Bug? Watch the squad info panel - all four AT4's get loaded up and two fired simultaneously. I've seen as many as three fired at once at a close-range, lightly-armoured target. Never noticed this before. It's a good way to use a squad's anti-armour capability almost instantly. In fact, in the next turn they fired their last two AT4's simultaneously at a new target.

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbfPDKNDv0

It's always been like that, though. And given that the AT4 isn't the greatest of weapons I hope it stays that way. Because there is a very distinct chance that a first shot miss won't lead to a second attempt. I'd rather get two shots in one go while the getting is good.

Sure, at short ranges against a lightly armoured target it's a bit of a waste, but for a side shot at armour some ways away I'd be happy if all the squad AT4s get unloaded in a single volley.

Bug? Watch the squad info panel - all four AT4's get loaded up and two fired simultaneously. I've seen as many as three fired at once at a close-range, lightly-armoured target. Never noticed this before. It's a good way to use a squad's anti-armour capability almost instantly. In fact, in the next turn they fired their last two AT4's simultaneously at a new target.

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbfPDKNDv0

There is one AT-4 guy per fireteam. There are two fire teams per section.

Also, it always fires the amount of ordnance as number of launchers. Check out the british Javelin teams with multiple launchers - they fire 2 at a time.

There is one AT-4 guy per fireteam. There are two fire teams per section.

Also, it always fires the amount of ordnance as number of launchers. Check out the british Javelin teams with multiple launchers - they fire 2 at a time.

Unless only one target presents its self. Then they'll take turns to fire a Javelin at the target until that target is destroyed/abandoned.

It's always been like that, though. And given that the AT4 isn't the greatest of weapons I hope it stays that way. Because there is a very distinct chance that a first shot miss won't lead to a second attempt. I'd rather get two shots in one go while the getting is good.

Sure, at short ranges against a lightly armoured target it's a bit of a waste, but for a side shot at armour some ways away I'd be happy if all the squad AT4s get unloaded in a single volley.

It's a fine line between killing it fast and not having any AT left. Plastering a BTR with 3 AT4s at point blank range might be effective, but a bit awkward if the next thing that comes along is a T-62.

Come to think of it, I wonder if "Target Light" would help? Though that doesn't change their reaction on contact. It would be nice if high skill/high moral units would try to not use too much overkill. If they see a BTR at 75m and they aren't under fire, a well aimed ambush shot rather than unloading everything on it. Where as if its a T-72 or if they're under fire I'd rather they made it dead ASAP. I don't know how they have things set up, but a little conditional logic could help.

Ammo consumption issue aside, I wonder how how practical it would be for a squad to launch 2 AT4s more or less simultaneously.

The back blast from the weapon is pretty considerable even with the new AT4cs. I would think that there's a fair amount of coordination amongst squad members to make sure that no one was being caught in the blast, and/or that the blast wasn't going to be reflected off a wall, large rock, etc., and into someone. Firing two or more within a few seconds of each other would multiply these issues.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone with combat training/experience with the weapon, but I would think that even if a squad were carrying 3-4 AT-4s, it would be more likely for safety reasons to launch only one at a time, with at least 5 seconds or so between launches, to make sure they don't fry any of their teammates.

The less C2, the less time, the less coordination. There should be a noticeable difference between outgoing fire behavior depending on these two conditions.

That's the info I was looking for - thanks. Certainly in the case I saw of three-at-once, there was little time ( I don't recall the command state). I'll try some experiments with C2 and see about variations.

Target Light definitely should help.

The primary problem here is that in real life the ability to coordinate fire depends largely on C2 and time. The less C2, the less time, the less coordination. There should be a noticeable difference between outgoing fire behavior depending on these two conditions.

Steve

Is what I said correct? It seems like 1 member of the fire team is secretly an anti-tank soldier? At least realistically speaking isn't one member of the fireteam designated an AT4?

Target Light definitely should help.

The primary problem here is that in real life the ability to coordinate fire depends largely on C2 and time. The less C2, the less time, the less coordination. There should be a noticeable difference between outgoing fire behavior depending on these two conditions.

Steve

But what about when the firing of multiple AT4s (or M72s, for that matter) all at once is simply a TacAI response to an AFV/MBT coming within range, rather than a response to a specific fire order?

It's one thing to knock out the armored threat quickly, but it's another thing to dish out overkill and use up most (if not all) of a squad's AT capability within seconds.

Makes me wonder how Panzerfaust usage will play out in CM:N....

Now this was a number of years ago, but it was normal for a squad to have 2 solders carrying AT-4's at the ready if the terrain was such that AFV's could be expected.

From an ambush position more AT-4's would be at the ready and since AFV like all machinery are quite loud one knows when they approach. Normal procedure is for the squad leader to direct fire with 2 weapons per target at a time. A tank can be expected to require more than 2 hits to knock out.

Back blast is a problem with these weapons and proper procedure has to be drilled into the soldiers ( I can still remember the rhyme : Behind clear, firing grenade!, with an involuntary twist of my head to check behind. My wife does not understand that part of me).