*ahem* (1.21)

AKD,

Got a screenshot of that? Sounds like it could be a driver issue.

Okay, I looked at it again. The "chunks" are when small arms fire hit structures, not the ground. Ground hits produce a small "shower" of dirt, and now I see sometimes also a tiny cloud of dust. The dust effect was so small and subtle I did not even notice it when looking for it! Let me revise my, hopefully constructive, criticism: I think the dust effect should be added to structure, object and vehicle impacts and made more prominent in general (if performance allows). Perhaps a more rapid initial puff followed by more lingering and drifting dust? I'd do away with the "chunks shower" for anything less than 12.7mm.

Adding the M203 option was a little more involved than I thought it would be, but obviously not too bad :) There's something similar with the Sniper Teams. They now have three weapon choices instead of just two. It's the Marines version of the already familiar M110 that is now available to them.

Steve

Now we can talk about the Mk. 12, right? :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I CAN'T wait to try out the newly implemented "selectable-and-moveable-waypoint" system that was promised to us so long ago! :D

That sure sounds like a vastly more important feature than dust/sparks effects. It certainly would save a lot more time and frustration on the players' part.

I can't imagine dust or sparks, or a combination of the two, accomplishing something as vital as that. At all. :confused:

I can't wait! CAN'T wait!

Seriously, though, I've read through the Read Me posted on the patch's download page, and there's not even a hint of an attempt at addressing a very serious issue. Is it safe for me to assume that a "selectable-and-moveable-waypoint" system is still missing in action? :confused:

I hope not! :mad:

I CAN'T wait to try out the newly implemented "selectable-and-moveable-waypoint" system that was promised to us so long ago!

I don't think this feature would be too difficult to implement for Infantry waypoints but I can see how it would be for vehicles. I have spent a bit of time watching vehicles moving between their waypoints to time my AI plans and it seems that they really get up to speed at the start of the move order and then slow down as they approach their waypoint. No doubt it took a while for Charles to code this in so that it looks and behaves in a realistic manner. There's no chance whatsoever that a patch will give everybody everything that they want. Some folks will be disappointed while others will appreciate what they get. You're turn will come though and when moveable/adjustable waypoints finally get in, no doubt somebody will complain about it taking precedence over their 'pet' feature.

FWIW, the Scenario Author Test and the ability to switch off AI Plan 1 for testing AI plans are very important additions (and IMO should have been in a long time ago so I know how you feel). I have no doubt that we'll see an overall improvement in the quality of scenarios from this point on. And just wait until you play a mission in low light conditions... the dust/sparks effect is not just for fairies. As MikeyD pointed out, it gives the player yet another tool for gathering intel on enemy positions as yet undiscovered. You're going to need that for some of the things I've got planned in the future.

Moveable waypoints is still on our ToDo List. However, everybody has their own pet peeve and priority list, so no matter what we release it will be missing some "critical" feature. Adding puffs of dust might not be a priority item for anybody, but it does give some needed information about incoming fire and where your outgoing fire is hitting. It's not all just for looks ya'know :D Plus, it was super easy to add.

Steve

The sudden release of v1.21 certainly was a pleasant surprise! A few questions...

Troops may be given simultaneous Hide and Face commands...

Pardon me if I'm being dense, but how does this work? When I issue a "Face" command and then a "Hide" command to a unit via a single waypoint they sometimes ignore the "Face" command. Even worse, I have seen them orient themselves in a direction nowhere near the direction indicated by the "Face" command when they do try to position themselves.

If I simply attach a "Face" command to a waypoint without the addition of the "Hide" command everything works as expected.

Am I doing something wrong or is this new command combination not functioning as intended?

US Marines sometimes have M203 grenade launchers instead of M32, especially at lower Equipment Quality settings.

Am I correct in saying that in order to see this change take effect in a pre 1.21 scenario, the unit(s) must be "repurchased" in the editor and the scenario resaved?

I also recall some fellows citing an issue with REDFOR MG crews being unable to acquire extra 7.62mm ammo from BMP's. Has that been resolved in v1.21?

Finally, I see my one man crusade to have the "Target" and Target Arc" options activated for the M707 (Recon Humvee) and the short barreled "Para" SAW added to the US TO&E have once again met with disapproval. Alas....:P

All of that said, I really get a kick out of the game in its current incarnation. Thanks for all of the improvements!

Suggestion for future patch: Place M249/M240 gunners in the crewed weapon spot if possible (considering that soldiers can now use their personal weapon in a turret position). It makes more sense for a M249 gunner to take the .50, this way there is a comparable effect of fire in case the .50 has to be reloaded, is destroyed, jammed etc.

Peeps seem to have completely missed this. I said in an earlier post :- Might have stumbled across a bug already! I have continued my 1.20 Marines campaign as it says you can, and in one mission, my FO team cannot call in 60mm artillery anymore?

Now I see that things may have changed slightly, but I am the Blue team and I cannot call in 60mm mortars at all with the force I have available to me from the outset of this particular campaign scenario. I have access to a FO team too. So is this a bug or is it because I have continued a 1.20 campaign over to 1.21?

Did you load the campaign from an on-going battle or from a save made between battles? The latter is probably the safer way to go for compatibility.

I followed the destructions. It was at the 'inbetween' stage during briefing and between battles. Seems odd that I cannot call in 60mm off-map mortars though. Maybe a different FO team appear later during the mission?

Okay someone else has noticed the same thing. But he said it was okay upon a restart. I thought my save-game was at the briefing before it began. Obviously not!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1166552#post1166552

Sweet patch!

However, I just fired up my in progress Marines campaign and all my arty has DENIED written across it in big red letters.

Yes. If possible you need to go back to the beginning of the scenario - or restart it completely. Fortunately I saved the progress at the beginning of the scenario prior to setup, and I got my arty back.

Edit: Good post regarding the issue -: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1166567&postcount=3

Actually you can use the target command for M707, at least if it's unbuttoned. The man in the turret can fire with his M4.

Thanks Sergei! I will give that a try when I have an opportunity to play over the weekend. I was always mystified as to why a recon asset did not have access to the LOS tool. If, at some point, the player also had the ability to assign sectors via the "Target Arc" tool I would be thrilled!

Troops may be given simultaneous Hide and Face commands...

Have any of you guys been able to make this new combination function correctly?

Just tried my first game under 1.21 (the "Pooh" mission from the Marines Campaign), the speed with which the Syrians can now call in accurate mortar fire came as something of a shock.

Haven't tested the mortars yet, but the delay to call BM-21 MRL was 19 minutes in 1.20, it is now only 12 minutes...:cool:

Looks like the Syrian FOs have stopped trying to get a clearance from Al-Assad on the radio every time they need to fire :) !

Plus the ability for Syrian officers to call for battalion-level arty...

Yes. If possible you need to go back to the beginning of the scenario - or restart it completely. Fortunately I saved the progress at the beginning of the scenario prior to setup, and I got my arty back.

Edit: Good post regarding the issue -: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1166567&postcount=3

Ok thanks, that's done the trick. Luckily I was only a few turns in.

As of v1.21, even in fresh-started newly-built scenarios, I've noticed that certain low-ranking Blue units are unable to call in artillery and air support, whereas up to v1.20, pretty much any Blue unit could act as an arty/air spotter. This makes sense to me -- doesn't it stand to reason that the "B" half of a SMAW team would likely not have the (for lack of the accurate military term) jurisdiction to call a Harrier for a JDAM strike?

From Paper Tiger:

You're turn will come though and when moveable/adjustable waypoints finally get in

Yay!

From Steve:

Moveable waypoints is still on our ToDo List.

Yay!!!! x the size of Goldman Sachs' upcoming, well-earned and totally justified bonuses! Seriously, can you think of a number larger than that? Don't try, that might make us even more bankrupt! ;)

Seriously though, this is GREAT news. I just wish that I would've read this earlier, as it would've saved on a therapy session, right AKD? :D

There's no doubt that once this huge time-saving feature's incorporated that I'll finally purchase the British module and, who knows how tightly the timing will coincide, the NATO module as well.

Thank you for making a very long day have an ending with a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. Godspeed sir!

:D

The 1.21 readme says "Large rocks (flavor objects) are more of a deterrent to navigate over."

I was excited by this add, since I've been looking for an object that will at least slow the movement of vehicles through gaps in walls (in the absence of gates).

But a few minutes of playtesting by running a Hummer, a Bradley and some infantry over all 6 types of rock objects at different speeds seems to yield no change in their speed, direction or bog potential. What am I missing here?