Ideas to improve performance?

Can anyone suggest tweaks or some graphical things I can disable or something?

I'm trying to play the "To the Volga" Operation (included in original CMBB) but the turns take literally about 10-15 minutes to calculate.

I'm slightly amazed because, though I by no means have a brand new gaming rig, I can run 2006-7 first person shooter games (i.e. fancy graphics and all that) at more or less maxed out settings, yet I can't run a 2002 wargame with far less complex graphics? I can even run Rome: Total War, with 9000 fully 3d units on screen and get 30 FPS consistently.

Granted, I can play battalion sized battles fine, but it seems odd to me that Battlefront would have released a basically unplayable (especially for 2002 computers!) op in the main game, which makes me think the problem's on my end.

Does CMBB not use duel core or something? Any way to override?

Anyways, just looking for ideas/input, I'd love to move past battalion size battles to regimental.

My specs:

Geforce 7900 GS 256 mb card

2 gigs of RAM

IntelĀ® Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)

From what I recall "To the Volga" was released more as an example of what the game engine could achieve. The issue with that OP is the large number of units to be handled by the CPU. CMx1 or CMx2 are not programmed for Dual Cores.

Having said that, I am surprised you can not run it. I have a Duo Core E6750, 2.66 GHZ, but not that much more powerful than yours and I can run "To the Volga" with decent frame rates.

As Kingfish mentinoed, try setting the graphical settings to the lowest to see if that helps.

Sounds like to me your system could use a tune-up.

Running your providers antivirus and other tune-up apps (example Norton or McAfee) may help cure your problem.

Defraging harddrive helps.

Down loading motherboard and video card drivers from manufacturers website to upgrade your drivers may help.

To help your computer compute max out your memory to the fastest your motherboard can handle.

There is no reason you sould have to wait 10-15 minutes for your sytem to compute per turn.

There may some files missing in your operating system.

What ever operating system you are using go to website and have them run a scan to insure proper functioning. (Like windows XP)

I've had the same problem just can't remember what I did to cure the problem

but these are some of procedetures I used.

I to have a slow system and mine computes faster than that now.

AMD Athlon XP 2500 (fsb of 333) 1.8 Mhz

e-GeForce 6200

3 Gigs of DDR that runs at 400 Mhz

Calcs between turns are not related to frame rates. In a huge desert scen (CMAK) with regimental sized forces and long LOS the frame rates where ok but the "blue bar" calcs took ages (named after the small blue bar in the lower center indicating progress). That's when I got really interested in the matter. Did some observations since then, but never took notes. Observatuions suggest the following:

In general "blue bar calcs" are done in the CPU, frame rates are a graphics adapter issue.

What does CM do during these "blue bar calcs"? Well, the commands are already given and CM tries to execute them.

It's like:

Move first unit a little bit (e.g. for a millisecond). See if others have LOS. For every other unit that has LOS now, check to perform SOPs (firing, retreating, ...).

If another unit does something (ie changes its status from hide to firing), check every other unit with LOS to that other unit for SOPs (which means that other unit is next in line.

Doing it that way would mean the calc time is approximately a quadratic function of the amount of units in the scen and a quadratic function of LOS "length". Read: if 10 units on each side take 100 secs, then 100 units on each side take 10000 seconds. 10 times more units gives 10^2= 100 times more cal time.

My algorithm is rather simple and works "one unit after the other". But I guess CM tries to simulate simultaneuos effects - which makes it even more complicated.