Newb experienced modder. help needed

Hi.

I did a mod called Warzone for Sudden strike 2 that took the ww2 stuff into Vietnam, Falklands, Gulf, Cold War etc. Thoroughly enjoyed myself making it but sadly ss3 was absolute tosh. Can anyone give me a quick overview of how to mod TOW and what tools are needed. That would be a great help, thanks.

What things do you have in mind? Sharing your specific interest in modding elements of the game dictate the reply, that said the 3 main programs are:-

1) 3Dmax for creating new objects, they need conversion to game format (see posts this forum)

2) Notepad for creating new classes of units / adjusting unit settings.

3) Photoshop/PSP for creating & editing new textures/skins/maps in .tga format

The bad boy modders are the JSH team, Knokke, Tartari, Oudy, Nikki Mond & Arzok. I can help with maps/missions. Ask away, we're usually a pretty friendly bunch!

Excellent, thanks for the answer. Are there any tutorials out there of how to mod this game. I tried SS3 Arms for victory but its rubbish to mod so Im moving to this game. I havent bought it yet and dont want to get caught out again like SS3 thinking I would be able to mod it like SS2.

I know its probably a bit of a cheek but can you let me know how easy this game is to mod etc?

I'll tell you what I'm aiming to do. I'd like to create a mod bringing in vietnam units, french indochine period and onwards, then maybe modern warfare.

Is it at all feasible with this game to have the following either vanilla or modded in?

1. Helicopters

2. Paratroops

3. How large a map can be made, for instance could I do a map of Dien Bien Phu?

4. How many troops can be used at any one time, is the game limited to lets say 50 or a 100 or even 1000?

5. Can airfields be made and planes take off and land on them?

Sorry for all the questions, Im seriously considering this game but I dont want to commit if it cant do the above. Thanks.

ToW is a very long way from SS2/Hiddenstroke, it's more of a simulator than that game engine if you know what I mean.

An early Vietnam mod would be doable, but would involve a ton of work. You would need to create alot of buildings/trees for the area as there are currently none. I assume that the French will be using US kit & the Viet Mien would use Soviet kit, you'd need to create skins & classes for both sides.

In answer to your other questions:-

1) Yes probably but you'd have to create a new 3d model of the chopper & use it as an air support. It would not be able to takeoff/land on map though.

2) No I don't think this is a supported feature at the moment if as I assume you mean that paras get dropped on the map. Paratroop units can be created as stock infantry.

3) Maps are 4km x 4km with a central 2km x 2km high res playable area.

4) ToW is essentially a small unit game with forces more akin to reinforced platoons than company sized units. The max number of units of either side at any one time is 250. I've managed to get through 1000 units by using triggers to reinforce each side when numbers are sufficiently depleted.

5) No airfields are not supported.

HTH

It would be easy to do close air support planes like the Hellcat and Bearcat used by the french in Indochina. The Spitfire could be used too, needing only a reskin to give it french markings. Choppers could be modded in the game, but would behave like an airplane (no hovering). It is not possible to have an airfield with airplanes taking off or landing, though you could still easily represent the airstrip in the middle of the french positions at Dien-Bien-Phu, with static airplanes and wrecks only (no chance of simulating DC-3s landing supplies under AA and mortar fire).

There is no airplanes droping paratroopers too. You would have to start the game with your troops already landed.

The map sizes would prohibit you to make the full Dien-Bien-Phu area on only one map, but you could easily have one map per sector (one per hill, for exemple).

I believe Dien-bien-phu should be doable without too much 3D modelling work, but other Viet-Nam maps would require creating probably much more 3D models (buildings and vegetation, mostly). The biggest work would require creating soldiers if they are anything else but simple reskins of american or british troopers.

One other thing you could not have is flamethrowers or napalm bombs.

Ah, that looks like it then. I'm looking for a game that I can get into seriously modding. I did a total conversion for Sudden Strike and liked the regimental sized battles that could be created. Airports are pretty neccesary along with paras, plus the ability to create custom models (I'm pretty good at 3d work and rendering etc so all that would be needed would be the tools to get the finished model into the game.) With SSRW I change an aircraft model to a helicopter, changed sounds etc and just adjusted the take off and landing and paradrop speed so the chopper flew low, dropped the paras without chutes (looked like they were jumping off the chopper) then flew back and did a short runway landing. Its was very effective. I'm struggling to find any game that has similar modding capabilities. Any ideas?

I used some paratroopers on my last campaign.

They are drooped on the map by "bomber" planes

:) I had the same idea; DC-3 would drop non exploding "bombs" shaped like parachutes, but I didn't figure how to create a soldier at the place where the bomb landed. Also there is the problem of creating bombs that would fall down slowly like a chute :)