Version 0.97.10167 Available

Brit

Just a small update today. The main reason for the update is to give everyone a copy of the Demo that doesn't expire on October 31st. The new version will expire December 1st.

If you are trying to get this update, and it's after October 31st (which means you can't run the application), just double-click the "Updater4.exe" application. It will download the update, and you'll be good until December 1st.

Probably the biggest change is the Unit Combat Simulator. You can have setup units to fight against each other and get combat results.

Notable Changes:

- Unit Combat Simulator (on the reports panel)

- Added "Show Patrols" to the reports panel. It can be toggled using the "j" hotkey.

- "Report a bug" is now available inside the game (next to the save button)

- Players can now toggle the Intro music on/off using the Preferences Window (inside the Game)

- Fixed bug: The "resign" button is wrong if you load a game after resigning

...Probably the biggest change is the Unit Combat Simulator. You can have setup units to fight against each other and get combat results.

Looking forward to test this! :)

PS. Will you release some more information regarding the possibilities and limitations of the rule set editor, or must we wait until the release?

I suppose he wanted the same kind of info I wanted when I made my thread.

Maybe he didn't know the right question to ask, but just longs for news. I'd be happy to know some as well. Maybe some screens of how it looks. Maybe an imaginary example of a twisted unit that uses the possiblities of the ruleset editor to its limits.

Something ;) We're very curious about this tool, because it expands a game that gives a set of options into a virtually unlimited space of possibilities.

A few questions I can think of:

- will You consider making editable flags - so that one could make a transport airplane that can drop paratroopers or transport havier load between cities only?

- will You consider giving units various container types - so that one can make a submarine that can be loaded with one unit of commandos and two cruise missiles, but which would not allow the player to stuff two extra commando units into the missile launchers at the same time. ;)

Stuff like that ;)

Maybe he didn't know the right question to ask

Indeed...

In fact, I was aiming for getting to know a little about your philosophy or vision behind creating the adjustable ruleset when you designed EoS. E.g. did you intend it as a tool for simply tweaking the game, or for creating entire new branches of the game?

When I look in the game manual at the rules section and on the official game page, I see a lot of focus regarding the 1900-2030 timeline. What about thinking outside the box? Can I make a battle set in the ancient time with my own unit graphics?

Stuff like that.

... and the things N3rull asked. :D E.g. not only unit stats, but behavioural patterns/options.

[Edit: I just noticed you posted as I was writing this.]

Looking forward to test this! :)

PS. Will you release some more information regarding the possibilities and limitations of the rule set editor, or must we wait until the release?

The rules editor lets people edit the units, buildings, and technologies in the game. You can create your own technologies, create a technology tree, setup "subunitsets" that allow certain players to have access to certain technologies and units.

Units can be customized - you can define their production cost, iron cost, oil consumption, HPs, their combat abilities, how being entrenched and how terrain (forest, desert, city) adjusts their movement rates and defense values. You can define which units can be inside other units (e.g. the air-transport can carry paratroopers, missile-launchers can carry missiles).

You can create your own buildings, and what kinds of effects they have. For example, a building can boost the production value of a city (by a predefined value, or as a multiple of the population). Or, you can say that a certain building has to be created before you can build certain units in that city. There are some limitations on the buildings (for example, the "Oil Refinery" increases your nation's oil based on your oilfields, but there is no way for a building to simply add oil or money to your nation). The building customization is done in support of the official ruleset, but I'm working on making it more flexible.

There are some limitations in the images and animations. There is no convenient way to add new building images or new unit images to the game. (Right now, when you create a unit or building, you have to use one of the predefined images.) This means, for example, that you can't create your own "chariot" or "cavalry" unit images.

There's also a limitation in that you can't add brand-new resources to the game. For example, you can't add "aluminum" or "diamonds" as resources.

I'd like to eventually expand the ruleset system to allow players to add their own unit-images, building-images, and even their own resources to the game, but that's not something that will happen before the game's release.

Oh, and the other thread may answer some more questions. (I'm looking around for it, but I haven't found it, yet. I'll post a link when I find it.) [ Edit: I found it: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=89047 ]