Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

multiplayer using crossover cable

HI, I have two questions regarding MP.

1) I haven't played CMSF online yet, but i get the feeling that it is not very easy and not very stable either. I usually use Hamachi when i want to play online games (mainly HOI2) do you know if hamachi work with CMSF?

2) I was thinking of offering the game to my brother for xmas and try to play with him by directly connecting or cpus with a crossover cable and creating a lan. has anybody tried that before and would it work?

thanks in advance

I haven't personally used Hamachi, but it should work with CMSF. Other people have used it with success if I recall correctly.

A crossover cable should work between two CPUs. It is also something else I haven't tried. Here are some instructions on hooking up two computers with a crossover cable. The 'file and print sharing' settings mentioned aren't necessary for CMSF to work.

Thanks,

if anybody has tried either hamachi or the crossover setup, i would be very grateful for the feedback. if I have the feeling that it is worth it, i will definitely offer the full monty (CMSF, marines and british) to my brother for xmas.

another question comes up as well. has anybody tried blue vs blue. Is it balanced (I am afraid that blue vs red heavily favors blue)? and which scenarii do you recommend if any?

there must be some thread somewhere i guess, but you might be able to direct me to them.

cheers

well i didnt tried a direct link or crossover cable, also i have Hamachi but i only use this as a backup or emergency mean to connect as i found ping´s get worse when useing hamachi compared to the same game without. at least for me.

anyways i have at least played a few CMSF MP games sucessfully. all in realtime unfortunately, but well, i guess you like to play realtime anyways.

point is that TCP/ip connect is a verry sturdy method. there is simply no reason to use Hamachi, when you simply type in youre brothers IP, wich is displayed on the screen of youre brother at that time so he can tell you, and hit connect and thats it. the time to do it equals the time to start hamachi for me.

so if both computers are connected to the i-net, they should be to licence the game, you dont need to bother with a crosslink or hamachi i think.

or is there any special reason to use hamachi for you i dont know about? from what i see now there is just no need to use hamachi or a direct cable, this just complicates things.

and yes, the MP games i had where all finished, just one crash all in all and it was "nearly" 100% lag free. some hick ups but thats it.

both users, me and my game partner, have a cable connection and we are about 35-40 km apart. we used TCP/ip realtime.

HI,

thanks for the answer. I do not have any special reason to use hamachi, it is just that I found it easy to use since i am not particularly good at computer.

My question regarding the crossover cable is that I thought it would be simpler than fiddling with the internet. The other reason is that my brother and I are going to be together at xmas for a couple of weeks ; ordinarily I am in australia and he is in japan. I read a lot of bad report about MP and CMSF, so i was just wondering if it was worth getting it for him. I should mention here that he does not have control on his router as he is getting internet through his landlord. but anyway, since neither of us are good with computers, i do not think we would be able to go through a port-forwarding process if it was required.

Also i have to say that i prefer turn-based than real time, but i guess i could get use to the realtime. Why doesn't mp works turn-based, by the way?

If you want to use turn based play and are in the same house, you could try hotseat mode where you both play on one computer. It is far from ideal though as you have to wait for your opponents turns. Best to have the TV on or a good book for while you wait. On the other hand, the banter can get pretty fun as it is face to face!

yes, either that or you play PBEM with someone in the same house or LAN :D

you see there are ways to get it done but none of them support what we are wanting from it.

i myself am a fanatical WEGO player you could say. but my lack of a human intelligence on the oponents side even forced me to play RT. most games but the tiny ones where more frustrateing to me then fun, although i won some somehow.

i dont know what type of gamer your brother is, but if he likes to play a continouse game in one go, hotseat and PBEM is verry likely not his thing. then there is just RT left.

I should mention here that he does not have control on his router as he is getting internet through his landlord.

ah ok, that could be a reason to use hamachi. however you have hamachi allways as an option. btw. whats a landlord? did he somehow teleport back into feudal japan while haveing internet? call me unedjucated, but whats a modern landlord?

thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that wego is better to manage that many units otherwise i will have to pause all the time, but since it is not available online i guess i will have to go RT or PBEM. problem is that australia does not offer much in terms of upload and download so I am not sure i could play a lot if i have to send big files over the internet for every turn...

I thought a landlord was the appropriate term to designate the owner of the house in which you rent a flat. i am not a native speaker but I am pretty sure that it is the word commonly used in the UK and in Australia.

are blue vs red games fun or do they heavily favor blue?

I am thinking i should maybe wait for normandy now... unless it comes out too buggy as CMSF was at the beginning (or so I read).

thanks again for all the comments.