Naval HQ Units

I think Naval HQ Units should be added. In a global map naval warfare becomes critical. Naval HQ Units would be assigned to a flagship and would transfer to another flagship should their flagship be sunk. There would be a small chance that the Naval HQ Unit would be destroyed when their flagship is sunk and a normal chance that the Naval HQ Unit's strength would be reduced. The command range of Naval HQ Units would be greater than Land HQ Units and the number of attachments may also need to be different. In a global map the roles of Yamamoto, Nimitz, Doenitz, Cunningham, Halsey, Spruance, Ozawa, Kurita, Kretschmer, and other naval commanders CANNOT be ignored or trivialized!

v/r,

teuton-K

This has been discussed before and it is a good idea. Maybe SC3.

Naval units could have a leader attached to them who has specific abilities, just like a unit improvement. If this is done then tactical commanders on land and air units should also be added. In this way, each land unit can have a specific "leader" attached to it like a unit improvement that has special abilities. (Yes....very similar to CEAW) In this way we can add Guderian, Paulus, Student etc. I would also argue that Patton is a "tactical" commander, not an HQ.

Can you point me to the previous discussion? I'd like to read it. I did a search before making my post, but it said "HQ" was too short (less than 3 characters) and would not perform the search. So I did a search for "headquarters" which returned no results...

v/r,

tk

I think naval HQ's are a great idea. They could even be a separate unit mirroring the way HQ's work for land. They don't participate in combat themselves but instead positively affect the units that are attached to them.

That would allow for the possibility of naval HQ's without having to take the huge step of having individual commanders for each unit which, while a good idea, would be a much more radical change than simply having a naval HQ unit that functions at sea in a similar way to land HQ's now