Stange behavior

coda

I have been playing 9431 for a while now and noticed some strange things.

1. Battleships seem to be very inconsistant in attacking land units. Seems like they only return fire at units that fire at them (ie artillery, missle launchers). Also, I can't get them to manually bombard a city (right click with target icon does nothing).

2. Artillery and missle launchers can't explicitly target enemy units ACROSS the water. They will fire at them sometimes, but the right click target icon doesn't work.

3. The ALs artillery can fire at you OUTSIDE of thier view radius (no units near enough to view you, but arty is hitting you)

Anyone else see the same thing?

Regarding number one, battleships attacking ground units and cities.

What are your ship's field orders set at? When I have them set at attack all enemies; my battleships and cruisers attack any land unit in range.

Not sure if the game is set up just to attack cities. I have niticed collateral damge when attacking units inside cities.

They are just default (aggressive)

I tried attack all units but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I had 3 BBs parked outside an AL capital with like 20 units in it for 15 turns or more.

Whenever they built an arty, it would engage the BBs and get destroyed. Otherwise, the BBs wouldn't do anything to the other units. Targeting the city didn't do anything either.

Aren't you supposed to be able to bombard the city with BBs and destroy buildings/pop?

I don't know what to say about that. I have never seen it happen. I have to set my warships to attack sea units only to get them to move off rather than stay and bombard land units sometimes.

I just ran a short experiment in my current game. I had four battleships moving toward a destination with the field orders set to attack sea units. I reset them to attack all enemies and altered their course to the nearest enemy city. Before they got there they spotted an enemy tank and they all stopped and blew it off the map. They then continued to the city and on the next turn began pounding away at the three units defending it destroying an infantry that turn.

This has been typical of my games and I have updated as they have become available.

I don't know if there is a bombard city option for artillery or battleships. It seems to target units and any damage to population or infrastructure is collateral. Perhaps trying to target the city has somehow caused a problem and you need to kind of reset the battleships. Try and move them out of range and then back in range while leaving the orders at attack all units or attack land units.

I'm only guessing but it may help.

Unfortunately, I can confirm all of these reports.

1. Battleships seem to be very inconsistant in attacking land units. - true. I have had it a few times. Most persistantly, BBs won't attack some neutral cities. Rio de Janeiro on the current DemoMap seems to be immune to battleships, for as long as I can recall I have never managed to kill militia in Rio if it happened to be neutral and I happened to have my BB sail by.

2. Artillery won't take attack orders over impassable terrain - true. Even if you order to attack a city well in range, but not directly reachable, artillery will not shoot unless you somehow remove the fog of war from the target, by sailing a ship by or doing a recon run.

3. AI cheats on fog of war - this is true and unfortunately has to be true. AI will never be clever enough to scout, make a capable army AND stay a challenge for the player all at once.

Witchcraft seems to be the AI's only hope.

I'm ok with the AL cheating on fog of war. I just don't think his arty should be able to hit you outside his collective view range.

One of the hardest things about using arty/launchers is you need to spot the target to hit it (except cities of course, they don't move much!). The AL doesn't seem to have this requirement. It leads to lost units from fire you have no idea where it came from. Normally against a player you would at least see the unit that spotted you.

Really need to fix the arty targetting across terrain. IMHO, that is the best way to use these units. Put them somewhere where a tank can't easily run them over and blast away.

Tanks move so fast that otherwise the range advantage isn't much of an advantage at all.

I think the BB targetting issue has something to do with the fix he put in to prevent them from getting tied up in a land engagement....

two units for a class1 transport, three for the rest.

It is all neatly noted in the unit stats.

There is a phrase somewhere right above the attritions table that says "number of units I can contain: <number>" and that number is what you're looking for.

edit. I guess I'm addicted to MS paint, lol

paintlolu.jpg