This may sound dumb and obvious to lots of players but the whole sub mode thing still has me puzzled. I understand that if a sub is in hunt mode it can disrupt convoy routes. The silent setting is fuzzy to me, exactly what does that do? The manual doesnt do a good job for me of explaining exactly what it does. I had thought that maybe it made you invisible to enemy ships but i tried running the north sea with that mode going and was still picked up and attacked by enemy ships. Humor a still semi rookie with some explanations please. Thanks for the help.

Bill.............

In weapons and warfare and PDE your subs cannot be stopped by enemy ships anymore, with the exception of enemy destroyers. Your own subs will still stop all enemy ships. The downside is that your subs are no longer capable of raiding convoys.

In blitzkrieg it only has the downside, so the only purpose is saving supply by not raiding.

In pacific theater it works the same as in PDE and weapons and warfare, with the exception that the speed of the unit is reduced to 66% when using silent.

You know this is another occurrence where "silent" subs should displace to other tiles like the dive feature.

Think of it like this, "Sir, enemy sub contact ...err ...well .....it was there sir, we thought we had a sonar fix, but it slipped away, ..shall I start a search pattern?"