Hot keys etc

awigmore

Hi all

I am fairly casual gamer (with limited gaming time!) who loves strategy games such as this and was keen to play this demo - I used to spend hours playing Empire-type games in my youth. In general whilst I loved playing the game, I'm not sure I'm going to buy it because I am not convinced I have the time to play it (or at least too much of my valuable game time is going to be spent doing almost accounting-like tasks).

I did feel a couple of things could have the handling of 100s of units a little easier. Later in the game, I felt I was spending too much time managing units (finding idle transports, loading units, unloading units etc) when I knew exactly what I wanted to do - it just seemed to take a long time to execute on my plans.

I found that as a person short of time, ship transports with a very island heavy demo map to be quite frustrating. I seemed to spend so much time waiting for transports to be constructed or for units to load up or transport ships to move to where I wanted to attack.

I think this leads to a couple of suggestions:

1. Review of hot keys (or maybe better documentation) so that:

a. I can select idle units (maybe tab between them).

b. If I sentry them (S) then the next idle unit should be selected automatically.

c. Don't un-sentry all units after i upgrade them. At least that is what I seemed to find and it was annoying!

2. Simplify the left hand news/task bar:

a. Ability to suppress units that require upgrade if they aren't in a city and so can't be upgraded. I had 10s of ships that were out on patrol that continually cluttered the interface.

b. As someone previously mentioned, ability to sort idle units by type or even have a tree control so that items could be closed.

c. Put idle units above "require upgrade" list in the bar. It's good to know upgrades are available but they shouldn't take up so much room.

3. Better "center on units control". Sometimes it didn't seem obvious what unit was selected when I clicked on an idle unit in the list.

Anyway, I still like the game and I want to love it/buy it... I still need to think about it though. I do wonder whether a map with more landmass might be better for a gamer with less time like me (?)

- Andrew

I have no idea why so many of you are complaining about the transport system.

You can literally take one transport with one unit of infantry and queue up orders to take over the whole map!

Please take some time to study queuing orders and using the infamous yellow circle.

That said, I agree to some points:

- tabbing between idle units might be nice (Idle unit view as I suggested some time ago would REALLY help!)

- collapsable "units that need upgrade" list would be nice.

I would also like to mention the "one-day sentry" that someone suggested in another thread. It would be helpful if we could just tell a unit "sorry I have no orders for you JUST NOW, please wait". That way we could just scroll down the unit reminders list and give orders or just drop a unit from the list for one turn without worrying that we would forget about the unit on the next turn.

Hi all

Be sure to check-out the new version that will be out today. It includes some of the things you wanted to see, including having idle units sorted by the amount of time they've been idle, a hotkey to center the screen on the current item, also, you're running version 0.97.8084, aren't you? It has a highlight circle to draw your attention to the item you just selected.