Impressions from the released version

afreu

I opened this thread to collect impressions on the already released version of PT Boats.

+ I'm able to play at a reasonable framerate on my lower-than-average notebook

+ The graphics are quite nice looking although I've everything on low (must look impressive with DX10 enabled and high quality settings)

+ The PT Boats are incredibly detailed

Dislikes

-There are a few campaign missions (actually the majority of campaign missions seem to be like that), in which you command not only 2 or 3 PT Boats, but also Cruisers and Destroyers. This however requires that you abandon the control of the beautifully detailed PT boats and change to the map overview in order to coordinate all your forces. In effect making it more of a strategy game than a PT boat simulation. In addition the strategy interface is a bit cumbersome to use.

WHY? I think this is something, that has the potential of ruining the game for many simulation enthusiasts

- In some missions (specifically the second mission in the German campaign) it's not clear what I have to do to activate the mission-success trigger

- The steering of the PT boats is okay, but doesn't really feel like a simulation. I'm comparing PT boats to the Ship Simulator series in this aspect, which offers a better way, especially for the rudder.

- It'd be nice to be able to save those men, who abandoned other sinking ships. It's weird to see fellow sailors trying to swim to the nearest shore, after their ship got sunk in the Atlantic ocean.

- IMHO a mission/scenario editor is a reasonable standard feature of any simulation. At least the German version of PT Boats didn't ship with a mission editor. So you've a few campaign missions and the multiplayer, which probably amounts to a few weeks of playing, and that's it.

Well i cant say what i think about the game as i have not seen much of it (apart from some screenshots and a few reviews).

What i do know is that i have been following the development of this game for several years and frankly had given up hope that i would ever be able to buy it (i live in South Africa). Many online games retailers dont ship to South Africa...

So the fact that Battlefront is going to publish this game is awesome news !!!:):)

So the next question is when ?? :confused::D

Back when it came out in Russia people were complaining about there being no areas of damage (you hit the boat or you don't, no subsystems). Your boat (and the other boats) had a trio of damage types (fire, engine, something else) and a health bar (boat sinks when it's out of health). Is the more recent releases/version better in this aspect, the more recent videos do still show a health bar for your boat?

I agree with your main complaint that trying to turn the game into a Battlestation's:Midway game is bad for the sim.

Damage-wise there are two factors: the boat and the crew. For the boat there is fire, engine and hull. You can repair these factors by sending your crew into the boat (which leaves the weapons unmanned). Obviously if all your crew got killed your boat is disabled.