Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Low FPS - anything I can do? Anything being done?

Nvidia 9800GT (512MB) w/ 182.5 drivers (minor rev might be off)

Core2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz

2GB DDR2 1066 RAM

WinXP Pro SP3

Old to CM, new to CMSF. Really getting into it now with 1.20.

I've searched for and found about every thread related to this but still don't have a resolution that gives decent framerates, even in small battles. With the specs I've listed above, I would expect to see something higher than the typical 18-22 FPS I'm averaging. Maybe I'm expecting too much from my machine.

Not 100% certain but I've noticed that either craters, trenches or certain building types really seem to drag down the FPS but only when rendered close up. I'm talking a drop from 45-60 FPS to 20 or less FPS, even with a small map/battle.

I know that ATI and Nvidia seem to be screwing the pooch on their drivers lately but there seems to be an inefficiency in the code somewhere since the lower FPS only occurs when certain objects are present.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Can you send me a file of a game you are playing with the FPS you see in it? I'm using a similar rig but with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800.

Stuff like settings in game and graphics card settings can make some difference but if you send me a game you are getting low FPS in with what your in-game settings are I'll see what I get.

Email addy is georgemc at blowtorchscenarios dot com

Cheers fur noo

George

Yes, terrain can affect framerate quite a bit. I once built a scenario that involved a heavy rocket attack at the beginning - only problem was the resulting forest of craters slowed the game down so much that I abandoned the plan.

This may be a minor thing, but try unplugging the framerate counter. When you're doing 50+ fps it doesn't make any difference, but if you're struggling to go over 20 fps the very act of counting might be slowing the game down enough to make it unacceptible. What's that old conundrum from quantum physics? The act of observing is enough to alter the results.

George,

Will do when I get the chance.

CMSF settings:

Textures=Best

Model=Balanced

Trees=On

Shadows=On

AA/AS=On

Nvidia settings:

AA=4x

AS=8x (maybe 16x)

Let me know if there are other settings you need. Also, could you provide both your CMSF and card settings so I can do a comparison.

Strange thing is, AA or AS settings don't seem to impact FPS that much. 16x was actually faster at times than 4x or even with AA turned off completely (both in CMSF and on the card).

MikeyD,

Only using FRAPS because I noticed some stutter/chug and wanted to see how bad it was. I rarely use it except to benchmark games and adjust settings until I can get 24 FPS or higher.

Playing "Al Uhbula District" - small urban map with a couple of platoons of US BIFV and dismounts I get around 17 to 20 FPS. Settings I'm using are:

CMSF Settings

Sound: ON

Display Size: DESKTOP

V. Synch: OFF

3D Model: BEST

3D Terrain: BEST

A/A: OFF

High Priority Process: OFF

NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT Settings

A/F: APPLICATION CONTROLLED

A/A: ON

Anitaliasing Mode: APPLICATION CONTROLLED