Unit & resource balancing and the common sense rule

Kelly's Heros

The common sensibility of unit capabilities and interactions seems to be a growing concern for many. I agree that this game will become frustrating for many if the units don't pass the common sense test. Sure, we can play the game as it stands and adopt the limitations of the current unit capabilities, but I believe the game has too much potential to leave these imbalances.

What specifically can we do to help make the changes to the unit characteristics? Should we be looking at the rules or should we look at the units themselves?

Brit, what can we do to help you sort this out?

I am an old Empire player from the Amiga days and I played that game for way too many hours back then. I always liked the premise of an abstract strategy game that hides some of the details found in more complex wargames. The frustration I had with Empire is that it didn't pass the common sense test on units and in many cases that limited the usefulness of those units to the point where they weren't used in the game.

I would like to see all units have some kind of advantage so that they can be used where needed, just like in our world today. However, I don't want us to complicate the game to the point where it becomes too detailed and loses the "create a quick fun strategy game" for an evening game either.

I believe we can all help Brit find the sweet spot for this game and we can all enjoy the results.

How can we help?

The common sensibility of unit capabilities and interactions seems to be a growing concern for many. I agree that this game will become frustrating for many if the units don't pass the common sense test. Sure, we can play the game as it stands and adopt the limitations of the current unit capabilities, but I believe the game has too much potential to leave these imbalances.

What specifically can we do to help make the changes to the unit characteristics? Should we be looking at the rules or should we look at the units themselves?

Brit, what can we do to help you sort this out?

I am an old Empire player from the Amiga days and I played that game for way too many hours back then. I always liked the premise of an abstract strategy game that hides some of the details found in more complex wargames. The frustration I had with Empire is that it didn't pass the common sense test on units and in many cases that limited the usefulness of those units to the point where they weren't used in the game.

I would like to see all units have some kind of advantage so that they can be used where needed, just like in our world today. However, I don't want us to complicate the game to the point where it becomes too detailed and loses the "create a quick fun strategy game" for an evening game either.

I believe we can all help Brit find the sweet spot for this game and we can all enjoy the results.

How can we help?

Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I think I'll sit down and start tweaking the rules. I'm not sure what you can do, other than give feedback about how you see the balance.