Suggested ruleset rebalance

N3rull

Okay, I don't know if you guys think it's alright, but I think it could use a little remaking. Sorry if I sound like a smartass, but I'm just trying to help Brit makes this game the best it could be.

I also know that we'll be allowed to make our own rulesets. But I still believe it wouldn't harm anyone if the official ruleset was more realistic.

1. Aircraft.

Too much stuff takes down aircraft too easily. A c5 tank downs a c1 UAV Tac bomber. A c3 tac bomber gets shot down when attacking a neutral town with militia in it. Three c3 tac bombers die without scoring a single kill on two c3 artillery units.

There is no point in making any SAM units in this game. Artillery, tanks and - lol - even infantry does the job well. There is even less sense in making fighters, cause they counter what doesn't really need to be countered and are shot down retardedly easy.

My thoughts are:

- Tanks - should be main targets for tac bombers. By now, they seem to be a fair match. I think it's wrong.

- Artillery - this one's just insane. Howitzers and mortars were NEVER a good weapon to deal with aircraft. Yeah, the famous Flak88, the German AA gun, turned out to be perfect at killing tanks because of it's long barrel and high initial velocity of the shell. It doesn't work the other way though, i.e. you could not eradicate aircraft with an M2 105mil Howi. That kind of artillery should NOT be good against aircraft. Very very VERY far from good.

- ships - actually, this one is fine. Ever since aircraft saw their first use in war, ships were being stuffed with anti-aircraft weaponry. Since there is no dedicated AA ship (there shouldn't be, really), what we get here is fine.

- AA guns and fighters might even get a slight boost.

- Infantry - slightly reduce their effectiveness against aircraft. Infantry can use machine guns and shoulder-launched AA missiles, so they ought to have some use in that fight, but not as much as it has now.

A sensible thing to consider is dividing aircraft into Low-alt and High-alt.

Low-altitude aircraft would be those that often get closer to the ground to kill their targets, which means tac bombers and early (non-jet) fighters. Those aircraft are vulnerable to machine guns and short range AA weaponry used by infantry.

High-altitude aircraft are those that stay away from the ground for the most part. This category would include jets, spy planes and strategic bombers. High-alt aircraft would be invulnerable (or barely vulnerable) to short range AA fire (infantry, tanks) and would require fighters and SAM units to be protected against.

2. Ships versus Artillery.

This is another imbalance that I find a little unnerving. I've seen a class 2 battleship eliminate FOUR class 3 artillery units in one turn without losing a single hit point. This is completely historically inaccurate, because coastline artillery was a huge threat to ships.

Besides, there is no better way to take over an island in the current beta than to build a battleship and just take a tour along the coastline, wiping everything the defender might have foolishly left in the range of the battleship's cannons. Nothing on the ground has any chance - tanks, infantry, artillery, whatever - everything just dies.

I believe that artillery should be much better against ships than it is. If its anti-air effectiveness is reduced as I suggested, then the player would really have to combine arms to invade a defended island, not just ride a battleship around the island, killing everything on its way.

What do you guys think?

Am I just being paranoid?

LOL, takle a look at the thread I started on naval balance, it outlines about the same thing, as well as my radar and aircraft balance thread.

Glad I'm not the only one noticing these unbalanced units

The BB is really the most game breaker of all, since if I just build battleships and destroyers and transports, I own the game.

The fact people forget about building your own battlehship si that if I have my battleship outside your port, when your battleship gets produced, it begans docked, which my battleship will destroy with ease (this just may be a balance thing not talking realistic here)

I wrote my thread when yours wasn't up yet. ;) I had to leave my PC for an hour though and added the last few words later.

I don't mind how battleships own ass at sea. They should. Destroyers (in my opinion) and subs should build a little faster than they do now, Cruisers should be slightly tougher and closer to destroyers in speed and all would be nice AT SEA.

However, the most irritating crap about battleships is that they own everything on land. Yeah they should be able to bombard cities with some effectiveness, but arty should be able to give them a very nasty surprise. That's why operation Overlord took so many lives on the shores of Normandy - because if a cruiser/battleship came close to the shore to support them, the coastal batteries would sink it in a blink of an eye.

What do you guys think?

Am I just being paranoid?

No, I think you have made excellent suggestions to improve the play balance. I first knew something was out of whack when I kept losing strategic bombers while attacking cities defended only by infantry. Without encountering flak units, SAMs or fighter protection, they should be able to bomb with impunity. I've had decent luck sinking transports with my tactical bombers but they do fall far too easily to land units such as tanks and artillery.

Anybody had any success with the missile units ? Seems like my missile strikes all fizzle with little or no damage inflicted. Also getting "ran out of fuel" result even though the enemy city was within the red maximum range circle.

Anybody had any success with the missile units ? Seems like my missile strikes all fizzle with little or no damage inflicted. Also getting "ran out of fuel" result even though the enemy city was within the red maximum range circle.

Yaaah. In my last game I had used dozens of missiles, from V2 to Drones to Nuclear ICBMs and Nuclear Bombers. Nothing. I haven't noticed a single kill. All "ran out of fuel" or "self destructed" or (very rarely) "shot down" without any casualties on the enemy side.

I launched most of the missiles from subs and cruisers parked right on the enemy's doorstep, so there is zero chance they actually ran out of fuel.

Oh and another thing about the missiles - don't you think the AI has some sort of sixth sense in evading missiles? It happened a few times that there was an AI city with 3 units inside camping there for a number of turns, but when I launched my missiles at'em, they suddenly decided to go sunbathing on the other side of the island. W00t?

Ideas:

-difference between brown and blue water would be nice

- till late WW2 only 'submersibles,' not real subs (means: dive only for one ore two rounds, then have to re-surface)

-diesel subs that have to snorkel but are undetectable when bottomed in brown water (near coastline) + AIP as technology

- nuclear hunters and boomers

- ASW ships with helis (can be in one place fore some rounds) and ASW-Aircraft (scans the route it is flying)

some gamey bug:

If you play vs AI opponents you can 'collect' their peace offerings over time. In later game you can use this to sneak attack resources and then just accept some old peace offer next.