Failure to Initialize

zyk0001

Upon trying to launch the game, I immediately get a notice that "The application has failed to intialize properly."

I have tried turning off virus protection both while re-downloading, re-installing and launching. Nothing seems to help. I'm running XP on a Dell laptop.

Any ideas? Thanks.

You need to install, and launch, the game with full admin rights under Vista. That includes right-clicking and setting the game to "Run as administrator". Or shut off UAC (User Access Control), which is the first thing I have done under Vista.

zyk0001, your problem may point at DEP (Data Execution Prevention) acting up, or your anti-virus is not really turned off even though you think it is (some AV packages such as ZoneAlarm and others are known for continuing to run in the background, and you may have to shut them down and make sure that you boot without them). Our Knowledgebase at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk contains tips what you can do for both under the eLicense FAQ category.

Just in case you are interested I have two computers running XP Professional with ZoneAlarm Extreme and one can run it [eventually - after a nights rest]] and one not. The one that cannot has XP SP3 as it is a rolled back Vista. The other is XP Pro up to SP2. I run the game with Zonealarm on for the working one.

One thing I am finding is that if I finish the game and exit I am unable to start the game again without completely shutting down the computer. Presumably something is lingering that prevents it reloading - even from a warm re-boot.