Beginning City = Capital City

Soul

Capital City

Currently in the game, there is nothing to represent a capital in Empires of Steel. I am suggesting you implement a capital city function in order to add more strategic depth to the game

The Capital City would have a building such as a Government center, Palace, etc. which represents the seat of your empire. This city would get a 25% production bonus.

The loss of the capital city would result in half of all stockpiled resources going to the enemy, and a restart on current research. Additionally, the empire would receive between a 10-25% production penalty per turn until the capital is rebuilt

This building, Capital, is in the beginning city of the game, but may be built by any other city, ie resulting in a move of the capital. Once you discover an enemy capital, the city is highlighted with a star.

This building should also take some time to be built, between 7-15 turns, so that someone cannot instabuild a capital when their capital is threatened from invasion.

What do you think about this suggestion?

I have been missing a capital city myself when I first started playing EOS. However, as you play more, you realize that it's not really that big of a deal. Your beginning city tends to become your strongest city anyway, because it's the one where you invest the most resources for the longest time in the game. Over time, your starting cities will be well into their 15 or 18 point as resources as is, without the need for an additional "Capital" city rule.

Mind you, it's not a bad idea at all, I'm just not sure it's really needed. Perhaps some more play time would be good to judge.

hoolaman, simple ideas are sometimes the hardest to code :)

I agree, with what you are saying Moon, but in any war, the objective is ususally one of three things, capture the capital, destroy industrial capacity, or take over resources. The game currently has the the Industrial and resource part, but I would like to see another objective.

A daring raid on a capital in a war or if the capital is on the front line, forcing the enemy to defend it heavily or move it elseware. Think of it as a "capstone" to a war or the end objective.

Right now playing is just a slugfest usually, with players taking over major cities as they come across them. Adding a capital would add more planning in a war and I feel make the game better. Like I said before, its like a management game, but where are you managing the empire from? A representation on the map would be great.

I think almost every game from Civ, Master of Orion, Gal Civ, along the same genre has some type of capital building giving bonuses to your empire. And in those games, one of your objectives is to take the enemy capital, or destroy their production.