NATO module in 2009?

Sequoia

Since this title hasn't been announced yet either I thought I'd ask if Battlefront might decide to push this one back as well so they can enjoy the Holidays in peace. That way they won't have to include the feature where the Bundeswehr troops sing Stille Nacht on Christmas. :)

I could be wrong, but is it the same team working on NATO that did Brits? If that is the case it be pretty difficult to churn out another module in less than 5 months after Brits. Or is there a second team? (not including Russian team making Afghanistan)

But I somewhat recall Steve saying NATO probably wouldn't get out the door til sometime after the Normandy release.

NATO is being worked on now and should be out before Normandy.

That sounds more sensible than having it the other way round, assuming that Normandy will have a more advanced engine/feature set than the NATO module.

At least it will make it easier for me to buy both. :)

Best regards,

Thomm

NATO is being worked on now and should be out before Normandy. Steve could give a better time frame. As you can guess, Charles is working almost full time on Normandy and CMSF is feeling a bit neglected. :)

Is this where the one man show slows things down a wee bit? Cant be easy to try and stay on track with the games when there are more than one going on at a time. Kind of reinforces what Steve was saying in another thread about limited resources and not trying to overextend. Is CM2 overextending? is this why we are seeing these massive over runs on games and modules from those announced?

Well to be fair, development of CMSF is basically finished by this point. I think we all agree that CMSF works well now and only some bug fixes, planned for 1.21 are required. Even when the British module was being worked on, Charles was spending a lot of time working on Normandy and the time to push the British module out the door from the time us Beta Testers got our sweaty little hands on it was not appreciably longer than the time it took to get the USMC module out. There is only one Charles, but that are many "volunteers" behind the scenes to do the grunt work. :)

I'm anticipating the NATO module before christmas. It has been said that the next module would benefit from the lessons learned from the Brit module and thus be finished quicker than the Brit module. But still experience shows that things always take longer than you hope but it also always was worth the wait for me in the past.

Well to be fair, development of CMSF is basically finished by this point. I think we all agree that CMSF works well now and only some bug fixes, planned for 1.21 are required. Even when the British module was being worked on, Charles was spending a lot of time working on Normandy and the time to push the British module out the door from the time us Beta Testers got our sweaty little hands on it was not appreciably longer than the time it took to get the USMC module out. There is only one Charles, but that are many "volunteers" behind the scenes to do the grunt work. :)

I though the Brit module took way longer than the Marine one? I remember it being announced before Xmas 2008 that the Brit module could be out before the end of the year but that it was being delayed till after the holidays (much like CMN is now), then it took until Jul 09 to see the Brit module? Was the marine module held up that long?

The Brit module didn't take way longer than the Marine one, the accompanying v1.20 patch took longer. To people who didn't get to see the sausage getting made, that may seem like a difference without a distinction. But they're never 'just' assembling another module, they juggle several balls in the air at once. Theoretically they're running out of clever things to do to the title, which theoretically should speed the process along. But if Charles decides tomorrow to add a Matrix-style connection directly to your brainstem for gameplay that could slow the release of the title. :D

I though the Brit module took way longer than the Marine one? I remember it being announced before Xmas 2008 that the Brit module could be out before the end of the year but that it was being delayed till after the holidays (much like CMN is now), then it took until Jul 09 to see the Brit module? Was the marine module held up that long?

I am only talking from the time we testers received the first beta build until it was released to the public, that time frame is typically 3-4 months, since on top of test-driving the builds, we also help out with the design and playtesting of the single-player campaign and scenarios. AFAIR, the USMC module was more work since a bunch of new features were added and bugs fixed. In the British module, the biggest headache was just getting their quirky TO&E right. :)

Regarding the expected release date, every game always ends up taking way longer than everyone expects. When I joined the team, Steve said we would start working on CM:Normandy in the summer of 2008.......:)

Maybe instead of saying a 1 man show is slowing it down you guys will realize that there is far more than 1 person working on CMSF. Ever think maybe its not Charles slowing down the process but maybe "us" beta testers/scenario designers? Little more involved and the work while sometimes fun isnt always fun.

Oh Im not too bothered about it being slowed down really. I also understand that there are lots of guys involved, but the primary one has got to be Charles I think.

Its very hard to manage expectations after all.