Another map question

rich12545

I guess I'm trying to figure out how the map size compares to a traditional ED map size. Can you please tell how many pixels (or whatever they're called) make up each square? Or if you don't compute by squares, how many make up the area that a city is?

There really aren't squares on the map.

I'm not sure how to do that conversion. Cities do take-up an area, but that area has been increased or decreased with no real effect on the game size. Maybe the best comparison would be to see how long it takes an average ground/sea unit to move from one corner of the map to the other corner of the map (assuming a straight land/sea path exists). The largest map size in EOS is 4000x3200, which is a distance of 5122 pixels. A mid-technology tank moves about 90-100 pixels per turn (twice as fast on roads), and a mid-technology destroyer moves about 100-120 pixels per turn. So, a destroyer would take about 45 turns to move across the whole area.

Ok. In ED a destroyer travels 3 squares per turn. That means the diagonal would be 135 squares and dimensions would be about 80x60.

Assuming I did that right then the maximum map is actually pretty small. The game I'm playing now in EDEE is about 130x130 and that's considered a moderate size. Many of the games I've played in the past have been in the 2-300 square size. Some players play even bigger sizes.

On the other hand maybe I didn't figure this correctly.

Ok. In ED a destroyer travels 3 squares per turn. That means the diagonal would be 135 squares and dimensions would be about 80x60.

Assuming I did that right then the maximum map is actually pretty small. The game I'm playing now in EDEE is about 130x130 and that's considered a moderate size. Many of the games I've played in the past have been in the 2-300 square size. Some players play even bigger sizes.

On the other hand maybe I didn't figure this correctly.

I guess that's true. I have to admit that I think in some of those large Empire maps, it takes too long to get units across the map. And with the technology system in EOS, you'd probably need to upgrade your units on the way to the target, since, in the time-span that it takes to move across the map, you'd probably discover upgrades to your units.

Well, ships were never the fastest hot rods out there. Planes cross the map in a few turns, but ships aren't really meant to jump from one part of the globe to another.

I would say doubling/tripling the map size maximum is not a bad idea, at least so that someone has the option to make a huge map in the editor if he wants to.

I guess that's true. I have to admit that I think in some of those large Empire maps, it takes too long to get units across the map. And with the technology system in EOS, you'd probably need to upgrade your units on the way to the target, since, in the time-span that it takes to move across the map, you'd probably discover upgrades to your units.

Well, you don't normally send units way across the map. What it does is allow for more islands and cities and a longer game. And with wrapping it doesn't get out of hand. Also, typically you play against more computer opponents. On the 130x130 game I'm in now there are three.