Suggestions

Boris Balaban

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestions:

A bit of feedback about whether upgrades are working and how long they have to go. They may take 4 turns so it would be nice to see how many turns left and if it is even working. Maybe a little upgrade arrow on the unit icon.

Results of combat seem a complete mystery. A bit of detail on the results would make it a bit more satisfying. As it is it is hard to even see how many hit points a unit has, or whether combat is marginal or a complete slaughter. This makes it hard to work out what the best units and the best strategy is. The unit analysis thing is very hard for me to understand.

Let us know when a city has completed a construction. I know the icon will be on the to move list but there might be other units there of the same kind and it could be missed. Maybe a yellow dot over each city that just completed a unit?

The news panel also has a "Construction Completed" category, though it sometimes gets overlooked because of all the other information on there. A visual cue on the map might also be useful.

I am starting this to keep track of positive suggestions.

BTW, I've been copying everyone's suggestions into a file on my computer. Just wanted to let everyone know that even if I don't respond immediately, it doesn't mean the suggestion was ignored.

Maybe the messages panel could be grouped: 1. research orders needed, 2. Things needing orders/upgrade/production orders that did have orders last turn. 3. Turn summary (spotted and so on), 4. Things needing orders etc that have been waiting 1-5 turns. 5. The rest of things. Or something like that.

It would be better if you didn't have manually assign sentry for units, they would just go to the bottom of the stack and not bother you. Units needing upgrades can't even be removed from the list manually, as far as I know.

A list of cities would be very nice. Perhaps something like this:

eos_citylist.png

Clicking on the city icon could jump to it on the map, while clicking elsewhere could open the production window.

And just for the record; I love this game! It's beyond everything I hoped for! :D

A list of cities would be very nice. Perhaps something like this:

Clicking on the city icon could jump to it on the map, while clicking elsewhere could open the production window.

I've now added the city list to the game. It behaves like you suggested (clicking the city jumps to map centered on the city; clicking production opens the city-build window). Here's what it looks like:

CityList2.png

First off, the game is great and I played it all day on Sunday. Aside from the Crashes to Desktop (CTD)s that occur on a frequent basis on my Visa SP2 x64 machine, the fact that autosave works great allowed me to play several games to completion. I did lose a few save games with CTDs when I tried to save to my own file name, so there are definitely some save bugs in the game.

CTDs were not consistent and I'll report if I find any specific patterns.

As many others have said, the messages window can become extremely busy with a large number of units. A tree view would be helpful that can be exploded or collapsed. Or maybe if you keep the current perspective and just allow each section to collapse or expand as needed.

I agree that grouping of upgrades and unit needs orders would be nice.

I would actually like to see trade, technology, and zoom as buttons on the screen that are easily accessible.

One other suggestion is that when a unit is selected it can be very hard to find on a busy screen. Some kind of spotlight or a more significant highlight would help to find the unit. I found myself searching and finally would have to draw a movement path to find the unit. Maybe I am just getting old, but that was my experience.

One other issue is the range circles that are drawn as wrap-arounds on the screen. This creates a very strange view perspective that is more confusing than helpful.

A few notes about the units. Planes are pretty expensive with minimal impact and unless they are improved I don't see their value. Cruise missiles are utterly worthless and almost always seem to run out of fuel. I assume these are tuning issues. When my stealth bombers were shot down by battleships, I just figured there is something wrong with the unit balancing. Now an Aegis cruiser maybe, but not battleships and infantry. I would think that strategic bombers will probably only be shot down by fighters and missile defense.

Overall, I enjoyed the game and I'm looking forward to the improvements coming down the road. I like that fact that you are already implementing some of the suggestions and I will keep playing any updates you make to the Beta :-)

First off' date=' the game is great and I played it all day on Sunday....[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback.

Note to everyone: I plan to get an update of the game out before the weekend. (I prefer to get updates out before weekends, since most people are probably playing more at that time.)