Major Nations

• 1 month later...

China? Oh, REALLY!?!? Is this an attempt to sell more copies of SC2 in China? I would say that a country that has historical build limits of Corps=100 and Everything Else=0, and a tech ladder of max research=1 would hardly be a candidate for a major power. There is no "what if" capability with China. :confused:

France, on the other hand, has huge "what if" potential. What if France concentrated its tanks? What if France attacked Germany during Fall Weiss? What if the French Govt fled to Toronto? What if France accepted Churchill's offer to unite with England? Ok, then you would have a single UK-France Major. Now that would be a cool CHOICE. Dont' force it on us! :mad:

If you're going to make China a major that's fine. You can't really have Japanese yang without Chinese yin. On the same token you can't have German yang without French yin. If you're going to make China a major then you need to make France a major and you need to make Italy a major. ;)

Italy actually developed jet technology and naval power. Their air force was capable but the leadership was incompetent. The What If potential of Italy is equal or greater to that of China. What if Italy did not declare war on britain, but dedicated its entire forces to fight Russia? Now, that is a game changer! :eek:

What if China dedicated its entire forces to fight Japan? Well, it did, and it didn't amount to much. What if China dedicated its entire force to fight Japan? Oh, wait, I already said that. Not many options here, folks. :rolleyes:

Haven't you seen that Jet Li movie Kiss of the Dragon? Well, I talked to that French Police Captain from the movie, and he is really, REALLY, not happy with your decision to make France a minor and China a major! I wouldn't make any promotional tours in Paris if I were you...

What I would be worried about is any stops in the NY, NJ area. I talked to Tony Soprano and he said, "About that SC2 Italy thing -- FUGGEDDABOUTIT!"

v/r,

tk

I think I agree on all 3 countries:

Should be a major:

France

Italy

Should not be a major:

China

My biggest argument for France being a major is that otherwise there is very little incentive for the UK to pour any resources into France other than to top off damaged units. Every MPP spent in France which is almost certainly going to get knocked out of the game early could have been spent on R&D and building and upgrading existing units.

With France as a major and in charge of its own MPP's, you are compelled to use them, nothing can be saved for the future. Which means France fights as hard as it can and throws everything it has against Germany which I think makes for a more interesting game.

Unfortunately with a few limitations requiring us to max out at 6 majors China really was the best choice for a Global game. If we had made them a minor then it could potentially throw off the game balance and/or make it play very ahistorically if we did as suggested.

Essentially the same arguments for not making France a minor are even more so if China were a minor since China is in the game for a very long time whereas France is usually not. With China its own power it can be fine tuned and controlled, i.e. an Allied player cannot throw all his MPPs into China to outmatch the Japanese but rather has to play carefully with the available Chinese MPPs and make the right decisions regarding increased aid and supply via various Decision events. Not only that but it also plays in a way that definitely encourages the Japanese player to expand its empire (for the required MPPs) as China is still a tough nut to crack but at least this way it is crackable ;)

If you are familiar with Operation Z from the Pacific release this is then a familiar argument.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

China should be a major but prefer Italy over France. I agree both countries had potential they never really realized but given France's short lifespan Italy is better. If we are allowed what-if then you can avoid some of Mussolini's blunders - not taking on minors that need the Germans to rescue you (eg Greece), using the fleet proactively and maybe fostering a better relationship with Spain. italy is fun to play, its weak but done well it can let the Germans focus much better.

Italy works quite well as a minor, in fact the Axis have more opportunities with her now than they did have before, because German money can be used to invest in the Italian armed forces. Whether or not this is a wise decision will be yours to make...