Joint Venture (Helmand Province, Afghanistan)

Hi,

I just uploaded another Afghanistan scenario (should appear shortly in the repository).

--> Both the Marines AND the British module are required!!!

JV_06.jpg

Command a ANA company, a US Army OMLT and a unit of the Pathfinder Platoon in a defensive battle against a massive Taliban attack. Support will be provided by air assets from the USMC, USAF, RAF and RNLAF. A quick reaction force of the 3 Para Battle Group is on the way to help out.

The gameplay is centered on infantry combat but CAS plays a very important role.

JV_02.jpg

ANA and OMLT defending the compound shoulder to shoulder.

JV_05.jpg

The compound from above.

JV_07.jpg

Pathfinders, US Army soldiers and ANA soldiers holding the line.

JV_09.jpg

The USMC patrol trying to break the encirclement.

You're right hcrof, the US soldier ran out of ammo and picked up the AK from an ANA casualty. Happened with Afghan soldiers, picking up M4s or SA-80s, or British picking up M4s, etc.

You'll have to watch the ammo level of your soldiers in this scenario. Especially the British units use up their ammo quite fast. It happened to me that single units got overrun because they only had a few handgrenades left to defend themselves.

Sry again for the problem with the first upload. Now everything should be Ok (teaches me to hire some beta-testers for the next mission).

Looking forward to your feedback (good and bad)!

afreu,

I played the scenario last night. Man, I did not expect such an onslaught. I got my rear end handed to me. To anyone who has not played this yet, READ the briefing!

Spoiler Alert!

After the initial round of being attacked, I had 6 Americans and 1 ANA left! I was doing OK until the second suicide bomber drove right in and took out a couple dozen guys. Then all my guys in the trenches near the woods were overrun. I tried hitting the recoilless rifles and the grenade launchers with my A-10, but he missed almost every time! Then the Marines arrived and I had two squads decimated while clearing the LZ.

Basically, everything went wrong. The Brits arrived a dollar short and a day late. I definitely would have fared better if the A-10 would have been hitting targets and if I would have been able to stop the second vbied.

This is a tough mission. I'm going to have to try this one again in the future.

Well, RED has very favourable starting conditions. It outnumbers the BLUE player 3:1 and has heavy weapons in positions with very good fields of fire. Since the AI has certain tactical limits I as a scenario designer relied on a numerical RED advantage to make the game challenging.

To play this as PBEM you would first have to reduce the number of red troops in order to make it a balanced game.

SPOILER

Thanks for your feedback FightingSeabee. Although in the briefing I recommend to use the trenches on the northern side of the compound, placing units in there isn't such a good idea, since the grenade launchers and recoilless rifles on the eastern hills have a perfect line of fire to those trenches. The key to reducing casualties in the first 40-50 minutes is to place all your troops in buildings on the lowest level. Snipers or other units in the second level or on the roof are going to be eliminated very quickly by the enemy positioned in the surrounding hills.

BTW my best result yet was 30KIA and 30WIA.

Hi,

tried it, too and was funny!

Reminds me to the Little Big Horn...

SPOILER

Made the error to have one platoon in the trenches...huh, a massacre!

These troopers I put in the houses died by a rain of handgrenades from the attackers...

When the marines arrived, there only was one afghan soldier alive who fled in the forest in the west...

When the british arrived I tried to get to the compound to rescue the wounded survivors, but then I got a ctd with <out of memory>...

greetings, alex

I'm new to CM:SF but downloaded this scenario at the weekend and after a couple of false starts have had a proper go at it today.

Spoiler

Total defeat: Blue- 111 ok, 114 kia, 114 wia, Red- 171 ok, 413 kia, 190 wia

I tried to make early use of the vehicle mounted wpns in the compound and had a little success but they didn't last long. When the Marines arrived I had only 1 US and 1 ANA surviving in the compound. Luckily my surviving US had good comms so I could continue the CAS. I took the approach to the HLZ very cautiously and virtually razed the compound to the NE before commiting troops across it. As afreu mentioned earlier, ammo becomes an issue very quickly and due to tunnel vision playing RT I had lost the Marine's trucks and so any chance of resupply was gone. I regrouped before pushing on to the Govt compound but by then was running desperately short of ammo and time. Looking forward to trying again, I don't want to write off defending the compound as a lost cause. Thinking that next time maybe concentrate the infantry to the south and using the CAS to attrit the enemy coming through the trees to the north where good arcs of fire are more difficult to achieve.

Very good fun and entertainment indeed, also quite a challenge.

SPOILER BELOW

I think this scenario is the one with the highest number of opposition forces that I know of .. around 800 .. the fighting was just brutal.

I lost all the men in the compound except for one lonely british engineer, who survived by retreating to the river. In the end I used one HQ in the compound to call airstrikes more or less on its own position, seeing that i was going to be overrun by uncons. It worked quite well :D I don't think you can survive in the compound, at least it would be quite interesting to hear how this could be managed.

The reinforcements, especially the Marines, were decimated as well by the last wave of uncons trying to take the HLZ. The Brits performed quite well, essentially carrying out all the counterattacking, taking the ANA-Hill (on which I called continuous air strikes for about 1 hour) and also gaining a bridgehead in the main village with the compound. I lost one whole section of british infantry to a friendly-fire incident with an A-10 (ouch), but overall the air-support was quite good, even when targeted close to friendly forces.

This scenario had more of a WW2 feeling, with over 200 casualties on my side, something which would be quite unimaginable for one single battle in Afghanistan today. But still, I liked it very much .. especially since I got that surrender (the only option for me to still win this) with 10 minutes remaining .. the dutch F-16 were helping a lot, basically levelling the compound with LGBs.

Overall: great scenario .. can we have more, please? :D

jointventure.jpg

• 2 weeks later...