Contact Drills

hcrof

There has been a certain amount of talk about contact drills that the Tac AI could do when it encounters the enemy.

I don't know what is feasable given time constraints but how is this for a simple one:

When a tank/IFV spots an enemy, the information is currently shared with the rest of the platoon. If the enemy is dangerous, like an enemy tank, all the guns of the platoon should swing round to look for the threat no matter what the current orders are (assuming that they have LOS to the enemy) . So if the platoon is ambushed from the side, the tanks don't sit passively as the platoon gets picked off one by one.

Im sure infantry contact drills would be popular too but probably be harder to implement.

While this could be helpful in some situations, there are tons of situations in which this contact drill would be what I want my units to do. E.g. if they are in a position behind a hill and you know enemies will cross the ridge any second when a single Taxi (no VBIED) comes around either side of the hill triggering the contact drill.

There are too many parameters to consider for the Tac AI to reliably decide whether the drill should be executed or not. I'm sure that in most cases the AI would decide wrong because the decision to be made is far too complex...

If the AI doesn't think it is dangerous because it doesn't see the AT team it will not execute the contact drill. A VBIED is a different unit to a taxi so when it is identified (within a couple of hundred meters to qualify as a threat) the platoon can engage it.

After the target is destroyed the armoured platoon just carries on with its previous fire arc etc after a couple of seconds. As each turn is only a minute long, that is all you need.