Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Double PBEM files - Problem?

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Madmatt - The Agony Aunt for CM!

Can you shed some light on another problem i have.......again not strictly a CM Tech problem (Said sheepishly) but it does effect my PBEM files indirectly.

I have previously always used Netscape Navigator for my e-mail and managed to send and receive my PBEM files without any hiccups. One of my regular opponents in the USA always seemed to send his e-mails to me twice, i mentioned it to him a few times but he was sure he only sent it once. This happened on a number of occasions and he was using IExplorer. Because it was just an inconvenience and not detrimental to our CM battles we ignored it.

When i took delivery of my new computer i decided to try out IExplorer for my e-mail and web browsing - I find that my opponent now tells me that I am sending him 2 e-mails at a time??? We both seem to be sending and receiving double mails, but funnily enough this only happens when sending PBEM files (Usually the larger ones).....all other mail does not have this phenomenon.

I have noticed that after i have sent my PBEM file the bottom info bar says "Sending Mail" but i have no mail in my outbox and if i click "Send/Receive" the task box is empty - both lights are on when i look at the little icon in the system tray which indicates that the modem is sending and receiving data, yet i have no indication that it is sending this mail twice??? Afterwards i look into my "Sent" folder but it only shows one file as being sent.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is it common for IExplorer users?

I have updated my Norton Anti-virus and scanned the harddrive after my last experience (Thanks Madmatt) but no viruses are present. I am baffled.

Best wishes,

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Madmatt

The problem is with either you or your opponents Email server. What SHOULD happen is one server sends a message and the other server recieves it. At the end of the transmission the sending server adds a little bit of info that basically says "end of file, please reply". At that point the receiving server sees that message and says back "Yup, got it, thanks!". At that time the original sending server goes off and sends mail to someone else's server. The receiving server then stores the message and waits for opponent to connect and retrieve his mail.

That's what SHOULD happen. What seems to be occurring to you guys is that:

A.) The sending server never sends the end of file portion of the message. The receiving server notices this and says "Hey! Send that again, I never got it."

or

B). The receiving server gets the whole message but forgets to tell the sending server that he got it, the sender then says "Hmm, I bet he didn't get the message, better send it again".

Either situation could be triggered by the presence of the PBEM attachment.

I would suggest (if you aren't already) zipping the attachments up before sending them. If that doesn't work and you continue to receive duplicate messages then it is time to contact your ISP and alert them to the problem. It's a pretty common occurrence but tracking down where the outage is can be tricky.

Hope that helps.

Madmatt

P.S. And for all you MCSE weenies out there, I know that STP and POP architecture/transmissions don't QUITE behave that way, but it is close enough.

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 10-29-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Madmatt,

I may have solved the problem.

Both my opponent and I had our IExplorer options set to check automatically for mail every 5 minutes.

We both changed it to 30 minutes and now no more double mails. Hey presto!

I figured that when sending large files the file remains in the outbox for some time. When it auto checks for send/receive it will find the file in there and send it again.

I figured it out all by myself smile.gif Can i have a gold star?

This may be usefull for others so i posted it here. I am about 80% sure the problem has gone away.

Best wishes

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918