Hours of War

eniced73

Oh, you shouldn't post commercial links to other game developers in these forums. Although I concur, Hours of War is a very interesting concept, and I've already registered.

Their Miikka was also involved in CMBB, which is a merit if anything.

Of course, beware: if something like Travian is like crack cocaine, this is can only be worse!

I agree about the monthly fee but right now you can sign up for the Alpha and play for free (for now). I am highly doubting that they are going to get enough people online to do this. Just my opinion.

Serg - This game is no where near a threat to BF. Its a web browser game and I doubt it is going to steal any loyal customers away. Just thought we were free to share things here. If BF sees a problem with this and closes the thread, I really do not care. It is not like I am getting a free subscription with every 10 players I recruit.

It's not that there needs to be any kind of threat or rivalry - it's just a BFC forum policy, because there are professional spammers and such (and I don't mean you obviously) and it would sometimes be hard to draw a line. I just mentioned so you'd know. :)

Discussing other games is usually within bounds, as well as links to reviews and other non-marketing sites, but Moon tends to remove links to game developers sites.

Anyhow, I can see many benefits in subscription based games. Above all it gives the developer an incentive to constantly try to improve the service and offer fresh content to keep the customers happy. If the game is good and it renews itself often enough to keep my interest, I don't mind paying some reasonable price for it. What is 'reasonable' depends on quality. But the best thing is that if you don't like it, you only have paid for one month, at most (often you get a free trial period). The average game these days costs 40-60 bucks and will hold your interest for 4-10 hours.

Still, those games are far too addictive.

I checked it out. I must say, I am quite impressed. It's a large multi-player wargame, with timed turns. Each game can last as long as the scenario designer wants it to last. The beta games are going 3 hours each and then resetting, meaning you can join any time, but the game will start fresh at some point.

It's a wargame. Players have roles such as Bn Cdr, or Regt Cdr,or Division Cdr, or Army/Corps Cdr. The higher eceholn Cdrs will eventually be able to pass orders to subordinates, etc.

Right now everyone is a Bn Cdr, so missions are entirely cooperative, with nobody really in charge.

In the final version, players can join one of the many planned perpetual games, or a smaller scenario, or they will be able to design their own scenarios and invite up to 19 of their friends to participate. This is pretty cool, in my opinion.

It's all browser based. It has in game email, chat, and the ability to put graphics on the map. All good stuff really.

4 out of 5 stars as an early rating.

This game sounds interesting.

Yeah, a monthly fee can deter some folks. I'm looking at signing up for iRacing sim this winter. They charge sumfink like $15/month (iibc, it cost a bit less if you purchase 3month pass, 6month pass, 1 year pass, etc.).

How does one go about obtaining ranks in the game?

"At lowest level, players command companies (when playing Battalion commanders, typically commanding e.g. 3 companies), and at the highest level at High Command. Every player is a part of the Army hierarchy, and may have superiors (other players) and subordinates (other players as well)."

Does it mean thousands of players online at the same time? While its a pretty game, is it just me or is that a bit optimistic? I think i will have a look-see tho. Looks interesting.

yeah, the company states thousands can play in one game. maybe the scale is so big and the "turns" (can't recall what word they coined for their system) are slow enough that lag may not be issue?

Q5: What do we mean with massively multiplayer (MMO), how many players exactly? We are not able to give any definite answer yet. We anticipate that the biggest campaigns will be around 2500 people playing together in a single game, on two sides (e.g. Allies and Axis).

Does it mean thousands of players online at the same time? While its a pretty game, is it just me or is that a bit optimistic? I think i will have a look-see tho. Looks interesting.

I don't know, I think it will depend much on how long the battles will last. A weeks long campaign squeezed into one evening would be very intensive and require all players to be constantly logged in, I think. But if it was actually going to take weeks to play out, you would probably be able to log in once or twice a day to check progress and adjust your orders if needed. A lot of free browser-based massively multiplayer strategy games handle thousands of players easily that way, because the traffic is more limited.

But they don't have to be online at the same time. Browser games like that run continuously whether players are logged in or not, gameplay is such that you log in, check the status of your units, adjust orders, log out, and do the same again tomorrow.

Except that soon you'll be spending sleepless nights when you can only think of how well the fight goes for you and what will you do next.

• 2 weeks later...