Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

name that AFV

John as usual is spot on

Crusader MK I Gun Tractor equipped with a deep water fording kit allowing it to become amphibious, the Crusader MK I is towing anti-tank gun. MK I Gun Tractor was built by Nuffield Mechanisation and Aero. Normandy, D-Day, June 6, 1944.

http://www.owensarchive.com/world-war-ii/tanks-artillery/crusader-mk-i-gun-tractor-/prod_8304.html

This one seems to have build-up sides for deep wading.

Yep, you can see the D-Day loading markings on the front left of the veh:

##51

L.C.T. 4

The British stipulated that all vehs across the beaches in the first, er, 6 hours(?) would be tracked. Wheels were only allowed sometime after that. That's a good part of the reason why all the assault divs had their 25-pr regts replaced with SPs, either Priests or Sextons.

That particular veh in the photo is from either 246 Bty, 62 A/Tk Regt, RA (an I Corps Regt), or ??? Bty, 73 A/Tk Regt, RA (30 Corps)

Yep, you can see the D-Day loading markings on the front left of the veh:

##51

L.C.T. 4

The British stipulated that all vehs across the beaches in the first, er, 6 hours(?) would be tracked. Wheels were only allowed sometime after that. That's a good part of the reason why all the assault divs had their 25-pr regts replaced with SPs, either Priests or Sextons.

That particular veh in the photo is from either 246 Bty, 62 A/Tk Regt, RA (an I Corps Regt), or ??? Bty, 73 A/Tk Regt, RA (30 Corps)

i think its part of the 61st AT reg/51st highland div that landed on the 7th june...

any advance on that?

i think its part of the 61st AT reg/51st highland div that landed on the 7th june...

I think you're wrong.

The blue-over-red tac sign with the number "2" on it, and especially the white bar at the top of that tac sign tells you it's a corps unit (white bar at the bottom = army unit)

If it was 61st A/Tk Regt, the tac sign would be blue over red with no white bar, and the number "46" on it, and elsewhere on the vehicle there'd be a Blue-red "HD" divisional sign - probably where the scratched out block is on the vehicle right-front. Incidentally, the shape of that scratched out bloc - if it is the corps symbol - leads me to think this veh is more likely to be from XXX Corps than I Corps, due to the shape of their respective signs (leaping boar vs spearhead)

I don't think it was from 91st because of the deep wading kit and invasion loading markings. AFAIK none of the later arrivals had these things, since they simply weren't needed.

OTOH, I agree that the naming of the indiv tractors is a strong indicator, and the shape of the corps tac sign is more like VII or XIII corps.