Extreme lag \ slowdown (frame rates of 1-2 fps!)

Laztlain

I have read a few threads that complain of low frame rates, but I can't seem to find any solutions. I really believe the lag to be RAM or CPU related, not video card related (at least in my case). This is becuase I am getting 1-2 fps in "large battles" regardless of video settings - from low to high. Also, with the game paused my FPS jumps to 30 and I can zoom all over the battlefield with no slowdowns... as soon as the game in unpaused... BOOM back to 1 or 2 FPS. I have installed the AMD dual core optimizer but have had no success. Here are my specs:

AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core

NVIDIA 8800GT

2GB RAM

Running patched version of game (1.1)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Same here apparently there're no solutions... unless they release a new patch. I tried different nvidia drivers and still no help. I believe their recommended specs are set too low.

Intel Core 2 Duo T5550

NVIDIA 8400 GS

3GB RAM

Patch 1.1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, after installing the Dual Core Optimizer AND the AMD Cool + Quiet driver, the unpatched game was running smoothly (i had low FPS before), even when using FF game speed (where animations were still skipping, but rather in a neat and almost fluid way) or encountering "large battles".

With the patched version, the frame rate is still ok, but the FPS rate seems to drop tremendously when heavy scripting is involved or if many units populate the battlefield (means if more reinforcements are joining the fray). Also, maps with lots of environmental effects (animated sandstorms, sound FX) seem to have quite some impact on game performance.

I've got an AMD Quad Core 940 X4 and a GeForce 7600 GT - so it was really surprising that the DUAL CORE optimizer seemed to act like a fix, but since the unpatched version got extremely fluid fps-wise at one point, it must have improved something. I don't think that it's my video card (although I know it's not exactly the newest Nvidia thing on earth :P) which is slowing down things, since the game worked like a charm at one point.

It must be the program code, maybe the fix for the memory leak/savegame bug is causing this, I don't know. My FPS aren't as low as 1-2 fps though, they're still around 15-19 fps during large battles (which is still sad). I used to have 30-38 before the patch, though, with occasional breaks (tiny freezes) when moving around the cam like a madman, due to the limits of my video card I guess.

I quit playing TOW2 because of this. Also, the low amount of content (number of missions) and the technical deficiencies (AI code, program code - memory handling) are rather disappointing. I don't think I'll buy a 1.0 version of a BF game before checking the feedback in the forum ever again.

So I wonder, is this going to be fixed or not?

• 2 months later...

Hi, yep i have the same issue, now im pretty sure my hardware is decent enough for good graphics...!

AMD 9950 Quad core @3Ghz OC

4GB Ram

Nvidia 9800GT 1GB

And i get around 5-9FPS, pathced to 1.3, all other background apps shutdown, im thinking maybe bad AMD compatibility...

hey ho guys i randolmy checked out the ol' TOW forum as theyve released the expansion. I bought TOW 2 and have been gutted since the day i got it. Like u guys my fps is around 15 on a good run. I have a GTX295 so it REALLY shouldnt be the graphics card thats the problem. My processor is an AMD Phenom so im guessin its probably got something to do with AMD CPUs. I mean thers loads of youtube vids of people having sick battles with little or no lag in fps. Ive gone from vista 32 home edition to vista 64 ultimate to windows 7 ultimate since i first got it and ive never had any luck....

Ive been after a solution for ages, surely battlefront must have caught wind by now?

It's definately related to hw specs, the game needs fast CPU with lots of L3 cache & a good 2GB of fast RAM, the GPU is not as important although not irrelevant. It is all the shot/damage calculations that go into the battles that slow the game down if you dont have the above, not that that in itself is a bad thing..... :)