Modding the GUI

Can someone tell me if it is possible to change the in game interface. I am completely new to this and have just started going through the game files to get to know them. I found the .TGA file of the interface in the data/GUI/ingame folder. It is called main.tga. Can someone explain to me how this is translated into the actual game? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ok. Forget it. I found the right TGA file using the SFS extractor. I was able to make it transparent. You can see your units fine in the lower right and left hand corners (instead of seeing a semitransparent pic of a map) now but you cannot select them in this area. I figured this was a waste of in game viewing area. If I can figure out how to shrink the command controls that will even be better.

Can anyone explain how the game uses the main.tga file in the data directory to assemble the images on your game screen? I was able to mod it by making things transparent and also changing some colors but I wanted to see if actually moving the interface around is possible. I was thinking about moving the commands to the extreme right and the minimap to the extreme left.

Sneaksie - one more questions for you. I wanted to get rid of the green circle on the unit icons and just use the inner symbol (I believe it is a brownish color). Well I tried to change the color on my units but when I do it also changes the enemies color too. Is there a way to separate these or does the program share the same icons between your units and the enemies?

I used the extractor but it did not extract a .xml file into the ordinary folder. I tried several times to extract but it does not put anything in the file. What am I doing wrong?

make sure you have the latest filelist.txt (the list should include all the xml files in the folder Data\gui\skins\ordinary\). If not, it might be the reason why the extractor is not extracting the xml.

Does anyone have a complete Filelist? I used 'Procmon' last night while playing and was able to create a list of some files that I needed for modding the GUI. I wanted to get into messing around with some of the models but with this method it seems like I would have to put in alot of game time to get the files needed. Can someone help me out on this one? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Had to amend the files I posted in the repository. The interface was covering up the air, mortar, etc... support buttons. I moved the interface to just below where the buttons will be. Sorry about that if you dl this.

I am having a problem with the mod. The mini map on the top left I see only the bottom right quarter of it, the rest is offscreen. Is it tied to screen resolution maybe?