help with kasserine pass mission

angrysquirrel

Hello,

I'm on American Kasserine Pass mission and it's ridiculously hard. It's the mission where you hold out for the british tanks. Then you are trying to stop tons of armor from getting through the pass. I'm wondering if there's any strategy to this.

I'm using my pak 35's that I captured from previous missions, one artillery gun, 3 tanks (with the two guns) and one stuart light tank. Also brought 2 bazooka teams with some infantry.

I don't move foward too much from my initial position. I've tried placing my guns on top of a hill for long range shots. Useless. The enemy tanks will take out the AT guns with MG fire or their cannons.

I try the ambush approach. Put my guns to the right of where the tanks will be coming down the pass to shoot their sides. For some reason the armored cars will be able to shoot my AT guns before the AT guns will be able to target cars.

I tried going head to head with my tanks vs. the enemy tanks. Nope. Panzers will smoke the american tanks you get by default unless you set them up in an ambush and shoot the sides of the tanks.

I tried putting my bazooka teams in the tall grass to shoo the panzers at close range. Nope. Bazooka teams will run from the tanks when they get close.

Typically with AT guns from what I've seen, you're supposed to camoflauge them and engage as close as possible with enemy tanks. No way to do this in this game.

The other problem is that you can't put your units at a higher elevation in the pass which would be ideal for an ambush (and also realistic). The map will not allow you put your units on top of a hill to shoot down on the enemy. Even worse, in this map there is a spot which could be used by your tanks which would put them in not only a perfect hull down position, but would also put them above the enemy tanks. The map will not allow you to go to that position even though there is a path that leads to it.

The game has a lot of promise with the weapons modeling but it seems to be lacking when it comes to putting tactics into action.

I think someone who knows more about the technical side of TOW2 might be able to advise you -- I'd like to hear those tips myself!

But here's my thought: TOW2 has many elements of a wonderful wargame. So before you write it off, why not try your hand at the map and/or scenario editor, and make the battle just the way you want? My frustration with the canned campaigns led me to try making a new map/scenario. And while it's probably going to take me a long time to finish the project, I'm having so much fun "playing God" with the parameters and terrain that I'm spending more time modding and less time actually playing lately.

First time I tried this mission I sat and waited for the panzers to breakthrough.... and was owned :(

Second attempt I raced my 3 stuart tanks through the centre pass to come up behind some allied artillery. My tanks supported the allied artillery and stopped them being out-flanked. Both my light tanks and the artillery were able to score side shots on several panzers.

This small force did well but was overwhelmed. However, they inflicted heavy enough casualties that my 105mm artillery (waiting at the bottom of the first pass) were able to take out the rest of the german assault.