Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM not intalling properly; not running right

Freak

Hi,

I just bought CM and it just arrived a week ago. I had installed it on my mac without any hitch initially. Everything played well. With no problems or "hicups" in the video mode (when watching the action).

Then after intalling lots of mods (great mods and cm mod community by the way) I decided after reading through lots of directions, that I would "revert" back to an original mod. After having trouble revering back to the original, I decided to reinstall CM. I trashed the CM folder, and the CM preferences file. Then I did an install. I installed CM 3 times with large install. Each time after installing for a fair amount of time, a messege came up and said that CM didnt intall correctly due to HD problems or something to that effect. I then checked the CM folder crated by the install, only to find 67 mb installed (67 mb in the "get info" window for CM). I then proceded to run CM. It started up and tried to play the intro movie but only mustered up about 5 or 6 seconds of it. After that I tried to play a game. I fired up the tutorial, and after giving out some orders and pressing "go" a few times the action started but when the battling began, things slowed down to a near halt. It was pretty much unwatchable. Lots of noise (audio) from the game but the video was choppy or laggy (skipping lots of frames).

Anyway, I just wanted to report this problem. It seems to me that this CM problem is really my computer problem. Not CM. But I wanted to let you all know just incase. I am not sure but my CD/DVD drive makes some wierd nioses. However, I havent had any install problems at all before this. In fact I had just installed other programs not too long ago, so I am not sure what the problem here is. I am not sure what the problem is, but I was hoping someone miÊ-w‘know is going on with my system and CM.

My computer (although it is a loaner and will be returned shortly) is a G4 500 with agp.

I suppose it wont be a problem when I go back to using my old biege g3. But CM is nice to look at on a G4.

I'd run Disk First Aid or whatever you have for a file-system diagnostic. You also may want to boot with a minimal number of extensions and control panels (with enough so that you can read from the CDROM) and make sure that no other programs are running when you attempt the install.

Double check your CM CD for any smudges/dust and clean it off if there is any.

Major H:

I had installed the latest (1.05 I think er something like that) when I originally installed CM. Now when intsalling it again for the second time it only installs 67.2 mb on a large install.

I ran Norton's Utilities a few times and got a bunch of corrupted files. I had them fixed up by Norton's, but nothing helped change the CM installation

Compassion, do you mean make a disk image of the CD and then install from there? I though of this but havent tried it yet. I may give that a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freak:

Compassion, do you mean make a disk image of the CD and then install from there? I though of this but havent tried it yet. I may give that a try.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's possible to copy the install files over to your hard drive and arrange the files correctly and then the game is installed... but like I said, not sure if it works the same on a MAC. Should engage Steve or Charles and ask him if a manual install of CM is possible on that platform. You might also do a search on "manual install" and see if this has come up before.

Clay-

Actually, I just checked... you might use MajorH's instructions here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000051.html

They are for Windows, but they may work for MAC... otherwise, like I said, try and get Steve or Charles to help.

------------------

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - G.W. Bush, January 2000

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 10-18-2000).]

Since I believe you can play off the CD on the Mac platform, then I believe that the files on the CD can be directly copied to your hard drive. Delete your current CMBO folder (whatever it may be named on the Mac) and create a new one. Now with your CM CD mounted copy all of the files/folders to your new CM folder on your hard drive. You will probably also want to delete any CM prefs file in the System Folder's Preferences folder.

Before copying these files over manually, I would suggest running Norton Disk Doctor again (and do a surface scan too, just to be sure that there aren't any physical defects with your hard drive).

If you run into a problem with the manual copy, then there may be something wrong with your CD (scratches/smudges) or your CDROM drive (excessive dust or some other mechanical/electrical problem). To confirm this I would suggest (assuming you have the disk space to do it with - up to 650Mb) copying the full contents of another CDROM to you hard drive (temporarily - as a test) and see if this has problems also.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 10-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Since I believe you can play off the CD on the Mac platform, then I believe that the files on the CD can be directly copied to your hard drive. Delete your current CMBO folder (whatever it may be named on the Mac) and create a new one. Now with your CM CD mounted copy all of the files/folders to your new CM folder on your hard drive. You will probably also want to delete any CM prefs file in the System Folder's Preferences folder.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, don't forget to add a \Saved Games folder and a \Pbem folder as the game uses them but they are created by the installer. Don't need any contents in them, so just create tthe folder.

------------------

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - G.W. Bush, January 2000

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 10-19-2000).]