Picking up equipment...

c3k

Gents,

I'm not trying to get this changed in CMSF, but rather offering up something to think about for CM:N and points beyond.

Right now my men can gain weapons from fallen comrades. This requires the medic function. The medic is the man equipped with the fallen's weapon (if deemed "better"). The medic function can take several minutes, depending on incoming fire, etc.

I've read many accounts of WWII and Korean actions where there weren't enough small arms for all the soldiers. (Usually on the Red side.) These units were expected to grab up the rifles of their fallen brethren. Would it be possible to have that done in game, but IGNORE any medic function? That would make it much faster for an unarmed (or lightly armed) individual to just grab a rifle and whatever ammo was on the wounded/killed soldier.

Kind of a desperate "grab and go" for the poor sap without a weapon.

In a similar line of reasoning, could the weapons be passed amongst the squad/section? For example, if a soldier gains a better weapon, he now has two. What if his original weapon is better than what someone else in his immediate squad has? Or if the gained weapon is not better than his, but IS better than the guy's weapon who is ten feet away? Any chance of spreading weapons around?

Thoughts?

Ken

Meh.

While not against this feature as such, I'm not sure it's worth the work to do a whole weapons distribution thing. It's not what the game is about. Expand on it further and make it easier and soon every German will carry a K98 and a MP40 or MG42 halfway in to a scenario. I like it the way it works now, it's a neat little bonus.

Your point is well taken, regarding the wholesale upgrading of weapons.

What about the concept of grabbing a weapon without going through the medic process? (In my dream world, this would only apply to conscript style armies which were specifically indoctrinated into that action.)

Regards,

Ken

When we are already talking about picking up weapons...

The issue of gathering weapons from enemy soldiers has been discussed in the (CMx1) past. I won't go into the issua 'Syrians pick up US equipment' again. But how about in a red vs red scenario?

If the ammunition fits, steal it? I'm sure it could be implemented that each soldier is only allowed to use a certain bunch of weapons (for Red this would be Soviet bloc) and therefore if an enemy squad is lying there with stacks of AK ammunition, the soldier would be allowed to steal it.

I think the buddy aid function is basically a "grab and go" where brown (KIA) soldiers are concerned. It takes a minute or so to do, but they do have to get down, take their weapon off or sling it, take the weapon off the dead guy (which may have become wrapped up in its sling), fish through his pockets for magazines...you get the picture. As for grab and go on red (WIA) soldiers...I'd rather see my pixeltruppen saving their buddies than nicking their ammo and leaving them, so I think the features is spot on the way it is now, though I can see how it would be handy for conscripts that don't know eachother (and maybe don't know any first aid for that matter!).