Importing to Pacific

Ok I need some assistance. I did about 6 hours worth of work on a new map for Brute Force. I found the optimal setup for using all 256x128 of the map.

Pacific is now to scale with Europe. Here is my problem.

#1 I can form the map and start from scratch which is a PITA but really the main problem was the scripts and balancing the game. I plan to simply import the mechanics data and adjust from the PDE version.

#2 the new Europe is almost the same as the old, it might be slightly larger, like 2-3 hexes more. I was thinking import the old map chop off Pacific, use old Europe, make new pacific. Now I dont want to do it by hand. I would like to import it using the map generator. The problem is that it doesnt overlay on top of old maps counting sea areas as "DONT PUT ANYTHING" it simple wipes out the old map.

Heres my thought. If I understand how the map.txt file works I can calculate how to import PDE europe and plop in the new Pacific by creating new PAC map.txt, creating old PDE map.txt, combining the 2 map.txt files so the old Europe is on top and new Pacific is below. All I have to add is Africa.

Does map.txt work like this.

1st # is number of rows (lets say 200)

2nd # is number of columns (lets say 100)

next 200 characters are the 1st row of tiles...

next 200 characters are the 2nd row of tiles...

next 200 characters are the 100th row of tiles... all done.

or is each set of chars by column? or someother method? If its by columns or rows I can wipe out the X top # of map.txt and replaced with exported PDE.

Is this how its setup?

The new map will include Africa also.