Scout...Sections?

Not sure whether this is a bug or not, my knowledge of the IBCT terminology isn't anywhere near what BFC's is, but -

- Open up the Editor, Go to US Army, IBCT, Recon Squadron.

- Narrow the selection down to include just the "C" Troop - the dismounted Recon.

- Deploy those units, and notice that the scout teams are labelled "1st Section", "2nd Section", "3rd Section" rather than Nth Squad or Nth Team.

Is this a bug (Britishisms creeping over the other side of the atlantic :D) or are Scout Teams in IBCTs known as sections?

48344573.th.jpg

From p5 of the Brits Manual (bold emphasis mine):

The easiest way to explain these differences is to use the

original US Army/Marines content to compare against. The

smallest infantry unit fielded by the British is the Fireteam,

with four men. Two Fireteams make a Section, which is

called a Squad in the US military. Infantry formation names

above Section are identical with the US.

From p5 of the Brits Manual (bold emphasis mine):

The easiest way to explain these differences is to use the

original US Army/Marines content to compare against. The

smallest infantry unit fielded by the British is the Fireteam,

with four men. Two Fireteams make a Section, which is

called a Squad in the US military. Infantry formation names

above Section are identical with the US.

Yes, but he is talking about the US Army IBCT. Not the British Army. But since they are recon units (cavalry), I think they use the same terminology. The following indicates a dismounted Recon Troop:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/images/bct-infantry-toe.gif

Yeah, I meant the US IBCT. I know the British use sections rather than squads, so I was wondering whether this was some sort of unintentional typo or whether US scout squads are actually known as "sections".

Judging from the IBCT TO&E that Fallout posted, my guess is they are "sections" rather than "squads"

The MI Coy has a "HUMINT Sec" and the EN Coy has a "Equip Section". It doesn't include the breakdown of a scout platoon, but I'd assume the terminology is the same.

Thanks for the info, was just wondering :D

Without having access to my IBCT's MTOE I'd say that the C troops 'section' designation sounds right. CAV SQDRNs (Don't call them RSTA BNs or you'll get a silver spur in the head from these former tankers) are different from Armor/INF. FA was the same, we didn't have squads we had sections, and basically they were 7-9 men depending on weapon system the manned. But when deployed to OIF II as everything but FA, our sections easily morphed in MP Sqds and teams. Funny.....almost like it was planned or something....hmmm....

Heh... yeah, I was talking with a US Army NCO who recently got back from Afghanistan as an embed with the ANA. We talked about the FA's experience earlier on in Iraq (which other units, including Armor, experienced) and how the soldiers on the ground didn't know what they were in for. Being in logistics himself, he was of the opinion that higher levels knew well in advance that FA and other units were going to be walking around with carbines instead of cannons. It's just that someone "forgot" to pass along the message :D

Steve