No RSMs in Brit Module?

Sure, look at the book "Thunder Run". Names escape me and I'm a bit busy (or lazy?) to run down and find my copy. However, the armored unit's top E, an E-8 or E-9, is pictured in the act of performing the epitome of his role. He's standing at the rear of a tank firing his M-16/M-4 across the engine deck of a stopped Abrams at close-in enemy. While he's doing this, a junior E is kneeling behind him wrapping a field dressing around the E-9's bullet-holed leg. Pure testosterone fueled warrior example to his men in the midst of combat. The picture is worth a thousand words...

Perhaps not what you're looking for?

Regards,

Ken

Sure, look at the book "Thunder Run". Names escape me and I'm a bit busy (or lazy?) to run down and find my copy. However, the armored unit's top E, an E-8 or E-9, is pictured in the act of performing the epitome of his role. He's standing at the rear of a tank firing his M-16/M-4 across the engine deck of a stopped Abrams at close-in enemy. While he's doing this, a junior E is kneeling behind him wrapping a field dressing around the E-9's bullet-holed leg. Pure testosterone fueled warrior example to his men in the midst of combat. The picture is worth a thousand words...

Sounds awesome, and I've heard stories of British RSMs doing the same sort of thing (every now and again) in Afghanistan. Heard one where an RSM was visiting a platoon position when it came under heavy enemy fire. Eventually the enemy began to get real close to the compound and a withdrawal was ordered. The RSM was the last man out, sitting on a tripod mounted .50 cal with only his loader for company, mowing down scores of Taleban, until at the last minute the two bugged out of there.

However, I'm not sure if thats the official role ;) which is more what I was looking for.

A "First Sergeant" in the U.S. Army/USMC is usually the senior NCO in an infantry company. As such, his role is role is basically administrative, making sure the company functions properly and the COs orders are properly carried out. He has no official combat or command role, although as third in command at Company HQ, after the CO and the XO, he could technically become acting CO if they were absent or incapacitated.

If you have seen "Band of Brothers", the character of First Sergeant Lipton shows quite well what a good First Sergeant is supposed to do.

The guy driving the TUM ST with all the Ammo, LASMs etc onboard doesn't show in game as having any rank, but I agree thats where a CSM should be.

How come British RSMs (or OR-9s/E-9s to use the NATO terminology) don't count as forward echelon when American E-9s do? I've seen USMC Sergeant Majors in game, so do the two ranks have different doctrinal roles? I'd assumed they'd be quite similar.

untitled.jpg

A USMC Sergeant Major carries out the same role as a First Sergeant, but at a Battalion level. I presume he is shown as leader since the CO is a casualty, but what about the XO? He should normally take over. I see he is listed as "moving".

A USMC Sergeant Major carries out the same role as a First Sergeant, but at a Battalion level. I presume he is shown as leader since the CO is a casualty, but what about the XO? He should normally take over. I see he is listed as "moving".

The XO in that picture is the Sergeant Major. They don't change around terminology, so a lot of other roles get shuffled under "XO".

The Operations team was there with their XO Major, and he became the battalion HQ after the CO became a casualty. The game then made the E-9 the commander once the Operations team became casualties (I did continue the test after the screenshot) in other words a unit can have multiple XOs