Impressions of the campaign?

Just finished Cafe Bagdad - A bit tense by the end but very fun. I liked the mission concept and the pressure is increased on the player very well.

What I liked most about it is that I have actually been to that cafe on my travels so it was nice to go back. I sent my LT to have a quick cup of tea with the owners before the excrement hit the rotor blades! :D

0 KIA/WIA, Red surrender

*************SPOILERS***************

In a way I was dissapointed by the cavalry turning up at the end. It would have been a lot of fun to see the enemy tanks, conduct a tactical withdrawal under cover of the helicopter and smoke and get the tanks or a javelin even later to bail me out at the last minute.

I suppose the missions arn't supposed to be that hard yet though!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

for comparison, here are my scores for the campaign, both routes. I also used reloads a couple of times, but not too extensive.

*** POSSIBLE SPOILERS ***

Settings: Elite, Real Time

Combined branch:

1) Border Crossing: Minor Victory, 7 KIA, 4 WIA, 2 AFV

2) Battle of at Tanf: Total Victory, No Losses

3) Crossroads: Total Victory/Surrender, 1KIA

4) Os-Sayqal - Recce: Minor Victory, No Losses

5) Os-Sayqal - Assault: Major Victory, 2 KIA, 6WIA

6) Bagdad Cafe 66: Total Victory/Surrender, 2 KIA

7) Dumayr Riot: Draw, No Losses - didn't really see any point in this one, therefore decided to skip it.

8) Sab'Abar: Tactical Victory, 5 WIA, 2 AFV, 1 other Vehicle

9) Mountain Crossing: Total Victory/Surrender, No Losses

10) Qutaife: Total Victory/Surrender, 19 KIA, 7 WIA, 5 AFV

11) Counter Attack: Tactical Victory/Surrender, 41 KIA, 19 WIA, 1MIA, 6 AFV, 2 other Vehicles

Southern Branch:

12) Courses of Action: Major Defeat, 2 KIA, 2WIA, 2AFV

13) Ambush in the Lava Field: Total Victory/Surrender, 3 WIA, 2 AFV

14) Narrow Margins: Total Victory/Surrender, 4 KIA, 6WIA, 1AFV

15) Ash Shaykh Miskin: Total Victory/Surrender, 6 KIA, 13 WIA, 1 AFV

16) Bashar is in our Hearts: Total Victory/Surrender, 2KIA, 5 WIA, 1AFV

Campaign South: Major Victory

British: 86 KIA, 70 WIA, 1 MIA, 22 AFV, 3 other Vehicles

Syrian: 1256 KIA, 579 WIA, 410 MIA, 62 Tanks, 107 AFV, 64 other Vehicles

Northern Branch (aka: "The Road to Stalingrad"):

12) Courses of Action: Tactical Victory, 3 WIA, 1 AFV

13) Aadra Adversity: Major Victory, 5 KIA, 12 WIA, 3 MIA, 3 AFV

14) Martyrs Square: Major Victory, 3 KIA, 13 WIA

15) Going Downtown: Total Victory/Surrender, 26 KIA, 8 WIA, 2 MIA, 6 AFV

16) Bowling Alley: Minor Victory, 17 KIA, 16 WIA, 3 Tanks, 5 AFV

Campaign North: Total Victory

British: 123 KIA, 93 WIA, 6 MIA, 3 Tanks, 30 AFV, 3 other Vehicles

Syrian: 1287 KIA, 616 WIA, 415 MIA, 69 Tanks, 105 AFV, 68 other Vehicles

The campaign is overall very good, with just two scenarios i didn't really like: Dumayr riot and Bowling Alley.

How the last scenario made it through any QA or Beta test is beyond me .. it's just crazy :eek:.

I loved Dumayr Riot, despite the fact I got steamrolled. What was it about it that put you off, Mad Mike?

Hm, maybe it was because i don't particularly care for those battles in built-up terrain or cities .. where you can expect the opposition in virtually every house. Also off-putting was the fact that the opposition seemed to "spawn" in the police station .. which doesn't really give you any chance defending effectively.

I think these MOUT scenarios are quite realistic in the way they recreate the frustration any commanding officer must feel when faced with such a task .. as a western armed force, you lose quite a lot of your advantages and you are forced to engage at a level that should have quite some advantages on the Syrian side.

As somebody else put it in another thread (don't exactly remember who it was), it felt quite painful (mentally, meaning that it was more like work and less like fun which I expect when playing a game) to play through "Dumayr Riot" and "Bowling Alley". This is not necessarily bad and it is just a reflection on my playing style and expectations. The scenarios were well done technically, but just not to my liking.

Funny though, i still achieve quite good results in these MOUT battles most of the time.:rolleyes:

... off-putting was the fact that the opposition seemed to "spawn" in the police station .. which doesn't really give you any chance defending effectively. ...

FWIW, there is no spawing in that scenario.

SPOILER

There *are* a couple spies in the Police Station initially, and you won't 'see' them straight away, so it will appear like they spawned in there.

Jon

@ JonS - Whaaaat? I didn't even notice those...

I read the briefing for that mission and thought "Fair enough, urban combat against Syrian irregulars. What's new." It was only when I saw the first shot of the actual mission, with the car bomb still smoking in the wall of the police station, its flames lighting up the buildings around it, that I knew I was in for a treat.

A slightly frustrating treat, as many of my men were cut down when they either bottled it and tried to run out of the station, or (for the QRF) when they turned just about any corner to find an RPG waiting for them and their warrior. I got a lot of casualties but the whole thing had a "black hawk down" appeal to it, whizzing through the streets as RPGs rip overhead.

They say that some gamers actually get more of a kick out of losing by a very narrow margin than winning. I'd say that mission definitely gave me that sort of kick.

Thanks, JonS, for the clarification.

I guess the whole experience of Dumayr riot was just too frustrating for me :o.

I really enjoyed "Counter Attack", first stopping the Syrian armor on the right flank with just one Challenger (epic 1 against 3 T-72 battle) and then employing the artillery to stop the Syrians in the middle and on the left flank. Very nice scenario :D.