TOW2 LODs

Kurnas

I just got this game, and I have a terrible FPS drop, apparently, due to the fact that the game designers failed to incorporate LODs,

Its harder to spot on vehicles, but you can clearly see it on the buildings, they are are detailed from a a far, as they are from in close.

You should have a closer look at the way the buildings are modelled in the game; they have several LODs, exactly like the vehicles.

If your computer was able to handle ToW1, it should be able to handle ToW2 as well, with even better framerates.

I have taken closer looks, many times,

And the only time Ive noticed LODs in action, was when model quality was set to very low, at all other time I saw the texture LOD but not the model LOD.

Im not ruling out a local problem, but it dose seem to be the cause of a serious FPS drop in and around villages, and in big battles.

and as you say, my rig runs the first TOW perfectly smooth, so its not likely my rig.

For most of the peoples, ToW2 handles smoother than ToW1, so your problem must come from some graphic option other than the complexity of models.

What do you mean by texture LOD and model LOD? I assume you're speaking of 3D models and mipmaps?

ToW2 buildings have 5 LOD models displaying at various distances. The first LOD about 800 faces is displayed between 0 and 20m, the 2nd (500 faces) from 20 to 60m, 3rd (410 faces) from 60 to 120, 4th (200 faces) from 120m to 250m, the 5th (12 faces) from 250m and more. That's not a lot of poly, and they seems well organised to me. It means that the frame rate drop you're experiencing has probably an other reason than the complexity of buildings.

I also experienced drop in framerates in the russian demo of the game from time to time, and it looked like it was caused by the wind blowing sand and dirt, but I never experienced this in the final product (I didn't notice this effect anymore).