CMBB Vista upgrade

This lack of scenarios thing is really puzzling. Unfortunately it seems to hard to narrow down to specific components (OS, drivers, installation whatever) to reproduce.

Being a Windows software engineer I can't see how the operating system drivers, or installation could be affecting this specific problem. I think it is a coding problem. The reason why I say this is simple:

The three scenarios that are shown are in the same exact folder as all of the other scenarios that are not shown. When a program accesses a folder it normally does so in a wild card manner that show shows ALL files in that folder that neet the extension mask. In this case only three specific scenarios are being shown and no others. This leads me to believe that this is hard coded into the application that if a certain parameter is not met only those certain scenarios will be shown. This is normally done in demo situations.

Could the supplied activation code for this specific upgrade version be the problem?

PS: I forgot to mention that you can see ALL scenarios in the separate editor which tends to back up what I said above.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Windows software engineer I can't see how the operating system drivers, or installation could be affecting this specific problem. I think it is a coding problem. The reason why I say this is simple:

The three scenarios that are shown are in the same exact folder as all of the other scenarios that are not shown. When a program accesses a folder it normally does so in a wild card manner that show shows ALL files in that folder that neet the extension mask. In this case only three specific scenarios are being shown and no others. This leads me to believe that this is hard coded into the application that if a certain parameter is not met only those certain scenarios will be shown. This is normally done in demo situations.

Could the supplied activation code for this specific upgrade version be the problem?

Most people see all scenarios, and they also use Windoze. So almost certainly it is a difference in either some random DLL floating around, or it has to do with specifics of the installation (I suspected admin/non-admin mixes and permissions before).

PS: I forgot to mention that you can see ALL scenarios in the separate editor which tends to back up what I said above.

What separate editor?

Will this fix also address the problem I mentioned in the editor?

Yes, it will.

Edit: I should add that I'm not a BFC representative, just the guy who figured out the fix. So I'm speaking about what I've tested - and yes, the above problem appears to be fixed - but BFC can't and shouldn't be held responsible for what I say. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the patch to make the blinking graphics problem go away, only now I can't view the entire map in a battle.

For some reason, it can only reveal half of the map at a time when I'm viewing at angle 4 or 5. Half of the map gets swallowed up by the green background when scrolling.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm on Vista using a GeForce 8600M GT.

Just to repeat a 'thank you' for the upgrade.

But also to ask why only four scenarios?

I thought there was a thread where this was raised since the upgrade was released but cannot locate it. I think it was agreed that this only affected the D2D version, which mine is, and that a patch would become available

Was I imagining all this?

Edit: D'ya ever have one of those days when you think you've lost it? I'm already in the thread I was looking for! Even so, has anyone heard if a fix is soon to become available?

Al001 - The problem, as far as we guessed, is related to Direct2Drive's DRM/copy protection, which seems to have scrambled the headers to many of the scenarios and operations. So the files are present, but CMBB doesn't recognize them as being 1.03/1.04 compatible and thus doesn't display them.

Replacing the scenario and ops files in the Direct2Drive version with the Battlefront 1.04 version files, seems to work. I'll see what I can do to get these up somewhere or possibly just sent out to individuals to their email as attachments.

Let's do this:

If anyone has the Direct2Drive version of CMBB or CMAK 1.04, then please open up a ticket at the Helpdesk. Click on "Submit a Ticket" and fill out the forms. Please provide an email address that can accept attachments up to 5MB in size. I will respond to requests for help with a .zip file of the scenarios and ops that when extracted and then copied into the 'Scenarios' folder should show up and be playable.

Al001 - The problem, as far as we guessed, is related to Direct2Drive's DRM/copy protection, which seems to have scrambled the headers to many of the scenarios and operations. So the files are present, but CMBB doesn't recognize them as being 1.03/1.04 compatible and thus doesn't display them.

Replacing the scenario and ops files in the Direct2Drive version with the Battlefront 1.04 version files, seems to work. I'll see what I can do to get these up somewhere or possibly just sent out to individuals to their email as attachments.

Let's do this:

If anyone has the Direct2Drive version of CMBB or CMAK 1.04, then please open up a ticket at the Helpdesk. Click on "Submit a Ticket" and fill out the forms. Please provide an email address that can accept attachments up to 5MB in size. I will respond to requests for help with a .zip file of the scenarios and ops that when extracted and then copied into the 'Scenarios' folder should show up and be playable.

Many thanks

Al