LAN multiplayer in TOW2

Greetings fellow generals,

I am a veteran of TOW but I mainly play on LAN with a few friends (not on-line).

Does TOW2 have LAN multiplayer?

How are the multiplayer maps? My main complain with TOW was that the size of the maps was limited (we like huge maps. I mean huge maps where you can hide and hunt. Hunting is half the fun!) Also, the unit limitation.

Can someone who has the game please comment on the multiplayer maps (number of maps and size of maps)? Are they basically the same size as TOW or you can increase the map size if you choose?

I really want to buy TOW2 but I've heard that it doesn't support LAN multiplayer which is a deal breaker for me. Please advise.

Over and out.

Of course LAN multiplayer is supported. Map size depends on the mission, maximum size is 2x2km like in ToW1. There are new MP modes where you must control one position for a set time or control most critical positions when the times runs out and in some missions (Attack&Defend ones) defender can position it's units and fortifications before the battles.

Thanks Sneaksie. It is great that LAN multiplayer is supported.

It is a bit disappointing to have the same maximum 2x2km map size. I understand perhaps half or even more than half prefer smaller maps to quickly get involved and have a frag fest but there is a whole market and a different breed of players that prefer larger maps where they don't actually want to bump into enemy right off the bat. The thrill of finding, scouting, hunting, and being scouted or hunted in large maps is a very important element and adds to the value of the game. It was also a tremendous psycological reality of WW2 for tank commanders to not know where lies the next trap or spotting a remote scout tank.

It has always boggled my mind why 1C company doesn't want to cater to both types of players. We are not asking to get rid of small maps. We are just asking to give us the option to go with larger maps only for those who want it.

From marketing aspect, there is a whole new market to tap into with larger maps. I can assure you that you will win over most if not all the players from games such as "Operation Flash Point" where huge maps are the major draw.

From engineering and coding aspect, I realize the challenge of tracking more objects and dealing with path finding elements in larger maps. However, today's hardware can easily handle the extra math and coding enhancements is what most folks expect with new generation of the game.

Just my 2 cents. This game has tremendous potential to cater to much wider audience.

Having said all that, kudos to 1C company engineers who have done a great overall job.

Over and out.

I agree with the map size problem in ToW and ToW2. Most of the time, the real battlefields where WWII battles occured (and not only major battles) where bigger than a 2x2 km areas. I'm having the problem with my Market-Garden Grave map already: I can't have both drop zones north and south of the bridge at the same time on the map, falling short by about one kilometer. Besides, I can't use the map for the fighting that took place later on the day after the bridge was captured, which means that I'm doing twice the same map with different coverage.

I understand that the decision made by 1C to have smaller maps arise from the challenge of calculating a lot more elements on bigger maps, so I can live with it.

Besides, the element of having to scout for the ennemy is still present on smaller maps (althouh this is a lot dependant on the landscape - on rugged terrain, this is more important than on a Holland map where the ground is almost flat).

Anyway, it would be nice to have maps with a 4x4 km playable area, and I hope this will be possible in next version of the game.

once I can start extracting the .sfs files on my x64 PC (anyone running Vista x54 able to do this?) I hope to create a mod to half all ranges (firing, detection, sight). While a nice large battlefield is great, I can live with a compressed field if that means better maneuvering room.

I finally got MoW because of the lack of modding of TOW2 for me and frankly it's a whole lot of fun. The short ranges didn't bother me all that much. Oh well.