Trenches: Possbile to Mod?

One of my complaints that goes back to the launch of CMSF. It's hard to see the trenches. Through the players point of view, not my byte soldiers, since it would be understandable if they can't see/spot a trench.

I like the CMx1 games where you can easily target a trench that's been spotted. But it appears in CMx2 that trenches are visible to the player right from the start.

I just wanna be able to see them from birds eye view. As it is now I gotta get in close to see and target them.

You can't touch the trenches themselves BUT you could bring the offending scenario into the editor and place a different sort of terrain type beneath them. Like, if the trenches are on a light-earth location place a line of red earth beneath them, if they're on red earth place a line of sand beneath them. This won't work if you're playing locked scenarios or campaigns, of course, because you don't get acces to the maps.

At the graphics-goodness I play at, there seems to be three distinct stages of trench graphics as I move about. A trench in the far distance (low resolution) will display as a drawn-on trench. Up close, it renders the depression in the ground. However in the middle there's nothing. When I tell some dudes to run somewhere and the squares are highlighting, a trench in the highlighting square will render, but otherwise they're invisible. I've never played with the editor - is there a mid-resolution trench tile, or something?

No what he means is open up the map in the editor and then where you see trench tiles just put a distinctive colour terrain tile on (don't use marsh though because it will make the tile impassable). A good example would be if the trench was on a sand tile and the map was generally sandy you could change the sand tile to a grass tile to make it stand out. Your problem here though is that trenches and walls in editor view look the same!

I'd have a run around the editor and just see what you can do with it. It takes a fair amount of trial and error but if you've got the time it is well spent.

Ok that answers my question, although not the answer I was hoping for. Curious if it would at all be possible to code in the game to make trenches auto-darken in the terrain. This not only would make it easier to see or spot, but IMO more realistic looking terrain. The same concept that craters have in the game.

I had the same complaint about the difficulty to see the trenches from a far off distance. In my scenarios design, I use a different color for the ground in or behind the trenches. That way they are more visible. You can put bushes behind the trenches as well. That way you will see them quite easily.

Any other ideas ?

Btw, is it possible to line the trenches with sandbags? I haven't fiddled much with the editor at all.

Something like this would be great:

trench01.JPG

Sure, you can do it, but it takes time. The result is pretty good. Don't forget to let some loop holes or portion of the trench clear for a free field of fire.

Cheer