CM3 not working on Vista?

Hi all

I have recently upgraded to Vista and have just installed the game then patched it. Game loads ok, scenarios load ok but then i get this mad graphics problem making the game compeltly unplayable.

Please see the links to the screenshots of the problem, the screenshots do not obviously highlight how the flickering of the duplicate images.

The computer is Pentuim duel core 2.50 ghz, 4gb Ram, vista home prem 32bit with a Nvidia, Geforce 9400 GT 1gb.

I have never had any problems running the game before although it was with much weaker systems using Nvidia Geforce cards however they were all on XP.

Any advice on how to get the game working?

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

It is a bug that neither Battlefront nor Nvidia are going to fix. If you want to play it on Vista you are going to have to get an ATI card. Which it has its problems with other games and is a suckier card overall with DX issues.

I played no problem on XP, whats the major difference? Is there a work around?

XP doesn't use DirectX 10 either. I play on XP as well. I now run two computers side by side one for Xp and one for Vista 64. I'm too lazy to make a boot disc for one computer. It's all about Vista and DirectX 10 these days. I can't play Colonization95 on Vista either. Vista doesn't seem to like any dos games or Win95/98 ones.

Maybe problem is about the video card.

Yup if you had read my first post you would have read it's an Nvidia issue and a Battlefront issue and neither are going to fix it.

Set AA to 2x and "override application default". That's what helped other people.

Thanks for the help, but could you elaborate? Where do i find these options?

Yup if you had read my first post you would have read it's an Nvidia issue and a Battlefront issue and neither are going to fix it.

I dont understand if you mean this for only the latest cards and for Vista, as for XP i only used Nvidia cards and had no problems; played the game on 3 different generations of the card.

The problem is that CM has a problem with the DX 10 calls involving nVidia cards. In Windows XP it runs fine, because DX 9 is in use. Keep in mind that CM actually uses something like DX 5, but is compatible up to DX 9 with nVidia.

So, with Vista, your video card is using DX 10 calls, which are broken with respect to CM. So, your best bet is to use an ATI card. I am running Vista 64 with an ATI 4800 and it works great other than having to get the bmp fix for the text problem. At least you have fog too this way. I have been an nVidia guy for years, but, if CM is important to you, you don't have a lot of choices.

NVidia simply screwed up the DX5 compatibility in their DX10 drivers. CMx1 is using DX5 calls, at least some.

However, you use their old DX9 code path if you run on XP or if you have a < 8000 card, regardless of what you downloaded (driver downloads contain both code paths).

Redwold you have been a massive help and it now works!

For Vista its the following:

Right click on desktop > Nvidia Control Panel > View > advanced > Programme settings* > CM Africa Korps > Antialisaing mode > Override application settings and set to 2x

*I chose this option over global settings as if i am to be honest i have no idea what am really doing lol!

• 3 weeks later...