Options

DOBERmann

hi there ,

have some probs to open Options.exe in tow2 direktion to change settings like smart pause . same prob when will open it with Configure TOW2 from startmenue . it happents nothing when i will it open , only short time the sand-glas is working .

this is the downloaded version . any tips ?

thx chris

As the game is installed on my machine (Vista 64 bits), there is no <game folder>\users folder. I am looking at Ai, Builder, Data, Docs, etc. as sub-folders in the TOW 2 folder, but no "users".

I have tried other suggested methods, like running Configure TOW 2, but that is ineffective.

When I try to edit messages.xml to edit the program responses to events, I am not allowed to save changes. The Security properties tell me that this is an "Owner" file and I was not able to grant write privileges to the System Administrator (i.e. me).

This is not my greatest complaint with the game. The biggest problem I have is saving a game, which I have yet to do successfully. It doesn't matter whether the save attempt is mid-battle or upon the successful completion of a battle. I hit the red button at the end of the first campaign battle, a "Saving...." window appears, but the saved game is nowhere to be found and I am stuck at the beginning of the first battle in the campaign when I try to resume.

Since I initially downloaded the game, I uninstalled it then re-installed the game from the CD and added the 1.1.0 patch. Still no Save Game capabilities. This seems pretty basic Computer 101 stuff.

I tried once again to find the elusive "users" folder to search for the header.xml and reservs.sav files to set the <version> as 1.1.0. Once again, I cannot locate either this users folder or the particular files.

It's a shame, because TOW 2 has great graphics, I love to see the bombers swarming overhead, and the AI is quite clever.

The fix to these problems may be simple, but I need to find and edit the files first. Any assistance is appreciated.

-Robbo J

Simply, Vista doesn't allow you or game to write anything into it's folder.

The simple way to get rid of such problems is to uninstall the game and install it somewhere it will have write access (for example, install it into the My documents\ToW2) and then the patch.

.... It doesn't matter whether the save attempt is mid-battle or upon the successful completion of a battle. I hit the red button at the end of the first campaign battle, a "Saving...." window appears,....

While his problem can be traced back to user access control, the freeze/crash at the end of a mission still appears on my system, once in a while, even WITH the patch installed.

The game would just freeze or even crash to the desktop. This happens let's say like with a ratio of hmmm something between 1:8 to 1:15 (one crash per 15 succesful missions). It might be more frequent, but since a battle is pretty time-consuming, most people will save and continue the next day, so it might not be noticed.

Saving a game works like a charm with the patch now, though.

It looks a bit like there's a higher chance that the game freezes at mission end when I ran (and closed) a lot of other programs before launching TOW2, means if the memory is fragmented. I'm not a windows programmer, so I don't know if XP's memory management is good enough to avoid fragmented memory areas.

Btw, I still can't access options.exe on my system. Why?

Simply, Vista doesn't allow you or game to write anything into it's folder.

The simple way to get rid of such problems is to uninstall the game and install it somewhere it will have write access (for example, install it into the My documents\ToW2) and then the patch.

I did what you suggested and was able to edit the messages file. And now I am also able to save games, Thanks.

-Robbo J

• 5 months later...

Hafer - have you licensed the game already when trying to run 'Options.exe' ? If the game has NOT been licensed then it should be trying to come up with the license dialog box. This could be blocked by anti-virus/firewall programs (sometimes without telling the user).

If you have licensed the game already (there will be a 'receipt.txt' file in the TOW2 directory), the I suggest right-clicking on the 'options.exe' file and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. Even if your user account has administrative-level permissions, this may still be necessary.

There is also the possibility of DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that might be blocking 'options.exe' from running. You may have to add this program (and possibly others) to the DEP list. Here's our Knowledgebase article about DEP.

Hi schrullenhaft, sure i typed in the serial number (!) i bought the game month ago, played all campaigns. but the options.exe. nerver worked for me.

the order-id in the receipt.txt is equal to the licence key i get via mail.

but there is a second licence number in the receipt.txt (mabe i typed in this number when i downloaded the patch 1.3 - but its month away and i cant remeber which number i used)

btw. there is no more licence dialog box, where i can enter a second number.

i already checked the DEP-thing.

i habe no third-party-firewall installed only the win7-protection. ideactivated the firewall, but options still not working..

Hafer - the second number that is 44-characters long is just an unique confirmation number code that you get back from eLicense on each license attempt. It does not need to be keyed in anywhere. The license dialog box will not come up unless you specifically try to unlicense the software or if it needs to be licensed.

You should not need to disable the Windows Firewall for eLicense as it usually passes through OK. Since you have been able to license the game, it should be fine on.

The 'options.exe' file I have is 1,252,384 bytes in size. Is yours the same size ? If it has permissions to run, I'm not sure why it is not working. Again, you are right-clicking on the 'options.exe' file and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, correct ?

• 1 year later...

installed the game again, downloaded the patch 1.3.0 again, but to be safe this time from a different server.

applied the patch and file size is still exact 1.249.280 bytes.

all editors are working, the game itself works, only this options.exe wont start.

win 7 64 bit , UAC off, "run as admin" is set.

Hmm, try to set your regional setting in Windows control panel to English.

i did that ... didnt worked.

i can not see the future, but i knew, that this funny ideas can not work.

ok ... change to english or chinese or maybe to hiswaelit dont do bad things to "your" computer, so its easy to follow such funny suggestions.

if you have more funny ideas like this, let me know. i do almost everything, if it dont hurts my computer.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you want to open a ticket in the Helpdesk I could send you the file I have on hand. I'm not sure why the 'Options.exe' file is not running when the game is activated and has the appropriate permissions.

thank you very much for your offer.

i also dont know why it dont works, but after searching with google about that problem, it seem that im not alone and many many others have the same problem.

normally i thought that the programmers of this game should know why it dont works, but it seems that they dont care about their customers. all these people with the same problem dont have a solution until now and we are talking about years with no help and not only days or weeks.