COH vs TOW ?

IDF

Just curious from the users percpective which one do you prefer COH or TOW ?

I understand that COH takes a more arcadic approach, this is good in that its more fun. Others will argue that they seek realism. This however comes at the expensive of playability.

Curious to know you opinions.

I am not sure I can agree that the realism in Theatre of War comes at the price of playability. TOW (and TOW2 of course) is extremely detailed in many areas (surpassing even Combat Mission), but most of it is going on under the hood or at least without any player interaction.

The main difference therefore isn't playability in my view at all, but instead how many things go boom how often. :)

COH is like a modded version of War Hammer. They took the warhammer engine, remoddled the orks and space marines to Germans and Tanks, but the engine itself was not changed at all. Therefore very very abstract.

I enjoyed warhammer because it followed the rules of the game I expected. but COH is just weird because the WW2 skins and maps seem so out of place.

I have played the Close Combat and Combat Mission series. To me TOW seems just like CM. The only difference being one turn based, the other RTS. Am I right ?

I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to purchase TOW as my system isnt super fast. I just purchased a laptop Intel dual core 2 with 512 MB video card and 4 GB RAM. I figure COH should run on that but not sure about TOW ?

It's hard for me to play a war game when my units have health bars.

In ToW, I love the fact that unit specifications/ammunition are taken into full account.

Also, limited supply and units make you think about tactics and positioning far more. Losing one of your tanks, knowing you can't build another, may bring a tear to your eye.

I have played the Close Combat and Combat Mission series. To me TOW seems just like CM. The only difference being one turn based, the other RTS. Am I right ?

I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to purchase TOW as my system isnt super fast. I just purchased a laptop Intel dual core 2 with 512 MB video card and 4 GB RAM. I figure COH should run on that but not sure about TOW ?

TOW should run well on that system unless there is some incompatability with drivers or something. My system is not as good as that and tow runs pretty good

TOW should run well on that system unless there is some incompatability with drivers or something. My system is not as good as that and tow runs pretty good

Shall I push my luck ? Would my system be adequate for TOW2 as well ?

• 8 months later...

Not really, just mainly different with a different focus on what they are trying to achieve as a game experience / simulation. TOW is more about leading groups of individual soldiers and is extremely detailed in this regard. CM is more about a slightly higher scale of leading squads and up. Again, play the demo :-)