Researching German DAK POW's captured in Tunisia.

Hello all

This is my first post on this very interesting Forum.

I'd like to find some way of researching German POW's rounded up in Tunisia, specifically the name of an NCO in PzJgr Abt 33, 15th Pz Dv. Is there any way of doing this?

I have a friend that has a tunic to a Hauptfeldwebel from this unit, but his name has been lost to history...

thanks

Tim

Tim O'Keefe,

Welcome aboard! Here's some info on the type unit, together with specifics on that Pz Jg Abt 33. The TO&E shows where you'd be likely to find a man of the rank you seek.

http://www.afrikakorps.org/panzerjagerabt.htm

Here's some info on the rank and its duties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauptfeldwebel

Have you tried registering here and asking your question?

www.feldgrau.net

Regards,

John Kettler

Apparently, a lot of Germans captured in Tunisia wound up in Florida. This book addresses them, their experience, their impact on the locals.

Hitler's Soldiers in the Sunshine State: German POWs in Florida (Florida History and Culture) (Hardcover)

by Robert D. Billinger Jr. (Author)

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John and Steve

Thanks for the response's these are good starting points. Really apprecaite it. And thankyou for the welcome to this interesting Forum. Will continue to study the DAK and ask questions when i can...here is another tunic from the DAK.

with kind regards

Tim

post-30407-141867621112_thumb.jpg

Tim O'Keefe,

You're welcome! And if the tunic's yours, don't let Steve G. talk you into walking down any dark alleys. OTOH, am unaware there were any Weasels used by the Afrika Korps, so you may be okay. Speaking of fun with militaria, I had a small acquaintance many years ago with Jim Steuard, founder of AFV-G2 magazine. He said he caused quite a stir towing his Nebelwerfer out to the West Coast behind his station wagon!

Regards,

John Kettler