• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The major differences in IBCT is its organization and what it doesn't have rather than what it has which is new. Remember, the reorganization of the Army was intended to achieve two very distinct goals:

1. Specialize forces into Light, Medium, and Heavy with distinctly different doctrinal roles.

2. Standardization as much as possible without violating #1.

Now, one can argue how well that has worked for Iraq since even heavier units are acting like light infantry and light infantry is often acting like heavy. But IMHO that just indicates that for some ops more light infantry is needed than is reasonable to keep permanently on hand.

To put it into CM terms, the IBCT forces are most similar to Marines in terms of higher level organization, but at the lower level they're not all that different than SBCT and HBCT since that was a major intention of the overhaul. But unlike the Marines they lack integrated armor (Abrams, LAVs, AAVs) and larger squad size.

To give you a little preview, here is what an IBCT Rifle Company looks like in its task orientated form:

Rifle Company HQ

__ FIST

__ Sniper Team

__ Humvee (yes, ONE Humvee)

__ 1 x Assault Platoon (heavy weapons mounted on Humvees or dismounted)

__ 3 x Rifle Platoon (1 Javelin Team for each Platoon, otherwise same as SBCT)

__ 2 x 60mm Mortar

Steve

Looking at this I assume there are no organic M1078's in a IBCT battalion. Were the trucks added because they are assumed attached vehicles to give the battalion mobility?

At one time LMTVs were MOTEed to the BN and attached to HHC's support PLT. Now they are a part of the BN's FSC. So for example, 3rd BN, 15th IN has no "organic" LMTV's, but they do have E Co, 703rd BSTB attached to them, thus providing them with cooks, trucks, fuelers, mechanics, various EO issues and everything else under the sun.

WooHoo! Post 187! Rakkasan!

Beh, old goat meat is not eatable at all!

Supposing he cut of the head to feast on its flesh :D

Otherwise it's just a lil' juvenile farm boy without any clue how the word ethic is spelled. Roll over nothin to see there, how is a dead sheep worse then a dead fly? I just erased one of them uber irritating flying monsters from existence and it seems your popular new President did too, during an interview none the less!

Seriously, sometimes I question myself what is worse: killing a sheep for nothing, or killing a fly/ant/name it. Now that I come to think of it, probably I only do that after taking a lil *medicine*. The conclusion was that ethically it's the same thing, only practically the 'murders' differentiate (the ... messy bit). A fly has the same right to live as a sheep does. One notable difference is that flies do tend to invade houses and harras the occupants. However would a sheep step foot in my house I probably wouldn't kill it because of the messy bit. So I guess life is just not fair for flies, or old goats in Iraq during OIF in this case.

Excepting for the annoying fact that even goats (which aren't particularly cuddly, admittedly) are light years beyond a fly on the sentient level and are fully capable of suffering just like humans.

I doubt anyone would argue that the reaction to Obama's eviscerating a goat on camera would be decidedly different from whacking a pesky fly.

• 4 weeks later...
Beh, old goat meat is not eatable at all!

Supposing he cut of the head to feast on its flesh :D

Otherwise it's just a lil' juvenile farm boy without any clue how the word ethic is spelled. Roll over nothin to see there, how is a dead sheep worse then a dead fly? I just erased one of them uber irritating flying monsters from existence and it seems your popular new President did too, during an interview none the less!

Seriously, sometimes I question myself what is worse: killing a sheep for nothing, or killing a fly/ant/name it. Now that I come to think of it, probably I only do that after taking a lil *medicine*. The conclusion was that ethically it's the same thing, only practically the 'murders' differentiate (the ... messy bit). A fly has the same right to live as a sheep does. One notable difference is that flies do tend to invade houses and harras the occupants. However would a sheep step foot in my house I probably wouldn't kill it because of the messy bit. So I guess life is just not fair for flies, or old goats in Iraq during OIF in this case.

Flies, sheep, goats, why stop there? To take your stance to its logical conclusion one must conclude there is no difference between killing a fly and killing a person.

• 3 weeks later...
Flies, sheep, goats, why stop there? To take your stance to its logical conclusion one must conclude there is no difference between killing a fly and killing a person.

What if its a human fly? I bet they are more annoying than your normal flies....