Need help with British

Are there any open sources in the web containing British Army field manuals like US FMs? I'm especially interested in organization, tactics and equipment. There are plenty sources with US Army and USMC FM's but I couldn't find any British ones. Your help will be appreciated.

I'm afraid the Brits (and most other armies - the US being the exception) tend to keep such publications in limited circulation and ideally not in the public's hands.

Remember it was not so long ago that people from your part of the world made pretty desperate attempts to source those same types of documents. :)

I can't find anything like our FM manuals. I do recommend getting "The British Army a pocket guide 2008-2009". It doesn't have any tactics but it does have their entire structure, ranks, equipment etc... explained in one organized place (rather than seaching a dozen sites on the internet). The org char on wikipedia displays it all nicely. Reading "3 PARA" has been a helpful glimpse into their tactics and it's a great read.

I'm afraid the Brits (and most other armies - the US being the exception) tend to keep such publications in limited circulation and ideally not in the public's hands.

Remember it was not so long ago that people from your part of the world made pretty desperate attempts to source those same types of documents. :)

"All of you think that you know war because you have read Jomini. But if war could be learned from his book, would I have allowed it to be published?"

Napoleon

"All of you think that you know war because you have read Jomini. But if war could be learned from his book, would I have allowed it to be published?"

Napoleon

True. I find it hard to believe that some field manuals would have any so vital info which one wouldn't know. For example our officers back in cold war times did study in academies of both sides. Soviets infact "demanded" that us to sent few officers into Frunce for a year.

One even published book about what he learned and experienced while studying in Frunze. At same time other officers visited NATO academies also. One one didn't seem to be bothered by that fact that information might have leaked a bit to other camp... Well in West Point (if i recall correctly) they weren't allowed to participate on lessons conserning nuclear weapons. :) Soviets strickly denied that they would use such thing... atleast before NATO.

Ofcourse teaching might have been alerted to be more wrong than right. :D

True. I find it hard to believe that some field manuals would have any so vital info which one wouldn't know.

Well it doesn't matter what is in them, its the words "RESTRICTED" in nice big letters at the top and bottom of every page and the warning on page one about the fact that sharing the contents will result in some time at "Her Majesty's Pleasure".