"Ok... Ok... DISAPPOINTED!..."

...Son of a bitch!" - Otto in A Fish Called Wanda

I mean really? 65 years since Normandy today. A lousy screenshot? A minor bone? Anything?

I´ll call it a night. Out of beer too...

Over & out

Tagge

Why can't you make people trust you??!!!

Now I have to go and watch that movie... right now.

Off to Netflix to put that in my queue. It's been WAY too long since I last saw it.

As for not releasing stuff... Cobra is coming up, so maybe by then we'll try and wow you with something :)

Steve

Operation Cobra was the codename for an offensive launched by the First United States Army eight weeks after the D-Day landings, during the Normandy Campaign of World War II. American General Omar Bradley's intention was to take advantage of the German preoccupation with British and Canadian activity around the town of Caen, and punch through the German defenses penning in his troops while his opponent was distracted and unbalanced. Once a corridor had been created, the First Army would then be able to advance into Brittany, rolling up the German flanks and freeing itself of the constraints imposed by operating in the Norman bocage countryside.

Having been delayed several times by poor weather, Operation Cobra commenced on 25 July with a concentrated aerial bombardment from thousands of Allied aircraft.

If someone put a gun to my head and demanded that I choose a Cleese-Curtis-Kline film, I'd pick Fierce Creatures. Blasphemy, yes. But Fierce Creatures has less of the "awkward and embarassing" thing that I got too much of as a youth with Blackadder and Fawlty Towers (which I was watching when I was six or so), and still get plenty of with the League of Gentlemen, Little Britain, and Spaced. So, in sum, short, and facto, Creatures is more fun to watch.

There, I finally said it. I feel so free!

I forgot Red Dwarf. You know what? I'm not a fan. Some funny ideas, pretty poor execution. I dunno. I was raised on Douglas Adams (to wit: I had no idea what "Eroticon 5" might possibly mean when I first read him, I think I was seven or eight), Fawlty and Blackadder... there's a lot that doesn't quite reach that bar.

It's a bit like reading Dickens as your first books. You'll have a great sense of humor from it, but there's a lot of stuff that won't quite measure up.

Actually, I *do* never forget to pack my towel. I always thought that was my decade-plus of Boy Scouts ("be prepared" and all that) but it's much more fun to think of it coming from Adams. I even enjoyed his Dirk Gently stuff. What a master.

I even enjoyed his Dirk Gently stuff.

I'm afraid I didn't. It seemed to me that by the time he got around to that, he was beginning to lose the touch. Even some of the "Hitchhiker" stories didn't quite work. But when he was in the groove, he was an absolute genius. Two and a half decades plus ago I used to listen to the radio plays on NPR and I used to anticipate each episode the way a kid anticipates Christmas. Utterly delightful and a spark in a world growing steadily darker.

Michael

But Fierce Creatures has less of the "awkward and embarassing" thing that I got too much of as a youth with Blackadder and Fawlty Towers (which I was watching when I was six or so), and still get plenty of with the League of Gentlemen, Little Britain, and Spaced.

but isn't that a solid 90% of British Humor, the other 10% going to non-sequiturs?

and to bring the discussion back to something CMN related:

"OOOOOHHHH, you Limeys are SOOOOOO superior. If it wasn't for us you would all be speaking German! DEUTSCHLAND, DEUTSCHLAND, UBER ALLES...."

Nah. They was licked by the time your lot turned up late, again.

They just didn't know it.

Noba.

Two and a half decades plus ago I used to listen to the radio plays on NPR and I used to anticipate each episode the way a kid anticipates Christmas. Utterly delightful and a spark in a world growing steadily darker.

Michael

Sometimes I forget how old you pricks all are here ;)

Two and a half decades ago i probably just learned how to pee outside a diper :D

I still had some Waldorf Salad though and enjoyed Life of Brian, among others.

Black Adder was a bit too much of it for me, apart from some good moments I had with it. I had a lot more fun with Eddy Murphy and his stand up shows :)

"OOOOOHHHH, you Limeys are SOOOOOO superior. If it wasn't for us you would all be speaking German! DEUTSCHLAND, DEUTSCHLAND, UBER ALLES...."

Well its easy to only play the second half of both games. :)

I forgot Red Dwarf. You know what? I'm not a fan.

Red Dwarf is like White Castle hamburgers (the one's where you get a dozen mini-hamburgers for 1$). Everyone says you have to try them. You do and you say/think "So what?" Then you try another order. "Nothing here." Another order... "I still don't get it." 50 orders later you're telling people they have to try them. Red Dwarf is stupid, childish, nothing there. But it does grow on you. Although there is one scene where the robot's hand is running around and then climbing up the main character's leg, that I challenge anybody with a sense of humour not to laugh at!

Sometimes I forget how old you pricks all are here ;)

Two and a half decades ago i probably just learned how to pee outside a diper :D

You sell yourself short. I'd bet you could pee outside a diaper much younger. Your aim was the real problem I'd guess.

I'm afraid I didn't. It seemed to me that by the time he got around to that, he was beginning to lose the touch. Even some of the "Hitchhiker" stories didn't quite work. But when he was in the groove, he was an absolute genius. Two and a half decades plus ago I used to listen to the radio plays on NPR and I used to anticipate each episode the way a kid anticipates Christmas. Utterly delightful and a spark in a world growing steadily darker.

I've listened to one episode of the radio show - it was excellent but not my cup of Brownian motion producer. I just prefer the incredibly concise single voice that Adams creates. Other actors just muck it up.

(Note: I watched about twenty minutes of the new "Hitchhiker's" film before turning to my wife and declaring that I never wanted to hear about the movie, ever again, and that I was done watching it. I think that's the first time I've ever done that, and I've sat through dozens of the "art" films she's seen for classes, many quite disgusting.)

And yes, I agree - Gently and anything post-"Restaurant" does seem to wander quite a bit from the pointed brilliance of the first two Hitchhiker's books, but his mastery of language and dialogue makes even his lesser works shine in that darkened world you mention, in my opinion. So polished, so perfect, so hilarious.

but isn't that a solid 90% of British Humor, the other 10% going to non-sequiturs?

It's not so much that I don't *like* it (I keep my prized copy of Cleese's masterpiece on the subject, "How To Irritate People", always handy) I just prefer it from pure mountain springs of it, i.e. the real masterpieces of British comedy.

Red Dwarf is like White Castle hamburgers (the one's where you get a dozen mini-hamburgers for 1$). Everyone says you have to try them. You do and you say/think "So what?" Then you try another order. "Nothing here." Another order... "I still don't get it." 50 orders later you're telling people they have to try them. Red Dwarf is stupid, childish, nothing there. But it does grow on you. Although there is one scene where the robot's hand is running around and then climbing up the main character's leg, that I challenge anybody with a sense of humour not to laugh at!

I suppose. I was quite taken with the first episodes of pretty much anything I've gone on to watch a lot of, comedy-wise, League of Gentlemen being a significant exception. I watched a half-dozen episodes of Red Dwarf and found that I didn't care for much of anything except the constant references to much funnier things happening beforehand. Sad, really, I had high hopes for it.

Please say that some of you realize this is a quote from "A Fish called Wanda" and not taking it as actual personal thought...

If someone put a gun to my head and demanded that I choose a Cleese-Curtis-Kline film, I'd pick Fierce Creatures. Blasphemy, yes. But Fierce Creatures has less of the "awkward and embarassing" thing that I got too much of as a youth with Blackadder and Fawlty Towers (which I was watching when I was six or so), and still get plenty of with the League of Gentlemen, Little Britain, and Spaced. So, in sum, short, and facto, Creatures is more fun to watch.

There, I finally said it. I feel so free!

I liked that movie. It wasn't the masterpiece that Wanda was, but it was good fun. My favorite bit was where the zookeepers were trying to convince Cleese that their animals were fierce.

"Rollo: "Now these are your meerkats correct."

Laraby: "Don't do that, please sir... please they go strait for the throat."

Rollo: "Now this new plaque yours laraby says that they're know as the pirahnas of the deasert. Is that right?"

Laraby: "They can strip a human carcass in three minutes."

Rollo: "My encyclopedia says that they are easily tamed and often kept as pets."

Laraby: "No, you've not been attacked by one sir."

Rollo: "Nobody has been attacked by one Laraby... or rather if they have, they never noticed. Now these Patagonian Maras of yours, um, devestate entire argentinian villages do they?"

Laraby: "Oh, they completely wipe them out. It's shocking to watch."

Rollo: "It says here they eat grass!"

The plaque next to the exhibit was hysterical.