Voodoo3/PC Strangeness

BTS,

While, I'm not a programmer (at least not yet), I'm pretty certain that part of the problem might be with how CM handles AGP (it seems that all of the graphics problems-texture corruption on Voodoo cards and lockups on Nvidia cards-happen on AGP systems). I'm pretty sure thats why my TNT2 and (occasionally) my Geforce are locking up. (Personally, I think storing graphics info on system memory is a bad idea. Another strike against Intel).

Anyway, this is just a thought. Now back to turning the Eagle's Nest into a large hole in the ground.

------------------

As the bumper sticker says: "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an AGP TNT2 Ultra card that I haven't had a single problem with on CM. I have another ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP card at work that also has given me next to no problems (no lockups).

I don't suspect that it is an AGP problem. It is possible that the way some drivers are optimized could be causing some of these problems. But since not everyone is seeing these problems I would highly doubt that CM has a problem with AGP-bus devices.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

The Voodoo3 engineers have just told me that they were able to reproduce this "white out" problem and it's related to a bug in their driver. They are starting to fix it now.

In the meantime, they said that the problem tends to be worse at higher resolutions and sometimes will not appear at lower ones.

I will keep you apprised!

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wanted to add my name to the club of people with Vodoo 3 3000 video cards who get a total whiteout every turn. Thank you for looking into this problem, as it has made the game nearly unplayable for me.

Is there any ETA from 3DFX on when the problem will be fixed. Also, who are the contact people from Big Time Software and 3DFX that are working on this problem?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work,

Larry

Oh, the pain. Still playing All or Nothing. Most of the times I can 1 turn done in two Saves. Nice, huh? NOT! As soon as I see any dropping of textures, I Alt-Save and then Alt-Quit, reload, and try to finish my move. The combination of texture corruption and my own slow play have made for a battle of epic time proportions. I think I have been playing this scenario for 1.5 weeks. Ugh.

Painfully,

Emthon

PS- BTS, I still love your game! wink.gif

May as well join the chorus. Like the report from 3dfx, it is worse with hi-res on large battles. With my vast knowledge of PC graphic systems, I assume that since more data is moving around, it creates more opportunities for the bug to rear its blank white head.

Turning trees off, or to setting one, seems to help. I just finished a 5000 point attack vs. the AI, on a large map, moderate trees and hills. With trees turned off or on setting one, I never had a problem. With trees cranked up all the way, the bug would show up every few turns.

My system:

PIII/550E@733

Asus P3V4X motherboard @ 133MHz (driver 4.28, IIRC)

128 MB Mushkin/Infineon 133MHz SDRAM

V3 3000 AGP with latest non-beta drivers

SoundBlaster Live value with Liveware 3.0 and latest drivers.

CM version 1.05

• 1 month later...
Guest Madmatt

The last we heard from 3Dfx was they were aware of the issue and are supposedly working on a fix with the next driver revision. As soon as we hear more we will let everyone know.

This problem is made more tricky as not every Voodoo 3 out there exhibits this issue.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 10-22-2000).]

Try doing this and see if it makes a difference, It did for me (on PC).

Right click on the "My Computer" icon. Choose properties->file system->Troubleshooting.

Check "Disable write-behind cache for all drives."

Make sure "disable synchronous buffer commits" is UN-checked.

Doing these thing helped my situation somewhat, not 100%.

GP

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up to confirm that it is NOT fixed with the new Voodoo3 1.06 drivers.

Running a P3 MMX 233 mhz, Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. Whiteout on Chambois after a couple of turns. Seems to be exacerbated by esc to desktop and back.

BTS, could you get back with 3dfx on this?

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

Guest Madmatt

Now this even more troubling as I have heard from several people in email that the new drivers ARE working for people. Okay, I see what we can drum up from 3Dfx on this once again.

As a side note, did you happen to adjust the AGP Aperture setting in your Bios? That fixes an unrelated issue with another brand of video card but I am wondering if it might not work with this one as well. People have had luck with both 16 and even 8 megs as the setting.

Madmatt

And apparently reducing your resolution (for CM) should help with this problem (although I'm sure a number of people here won't consider that a permanent solution). This problem may be a case of "balancing" certain features in the 3dfx driver. It's possible that more stability may mean a loss of speed. This is a possible reason for why the problem hasn't completely disappeared.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

As a side note, did you happen to adjust the AGP Aperture setting in your Bios? That fixes an unrelated issue with another brand of video card but I am wondering if it might not work with this one as well. People have had luck with both 16 and even 8 megs as the setting.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No AGP at all on my system, it is PCI only, hence the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. I'll experiment some this week and post any conclusions I get here.

Oh, and I misstyped, I have a Pentium 233 MMX, not P3 233.

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Now this even more troubling as I have heard from several people in email that the new drivers ARE working for people. Okay, I see what we can drum up from 3Dfx on this once again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed DirectX 8 tonight and was not able to reproduce the problem after a half-hour of fooling around with a saved Chambois scenario. Perhaps DX8 plus Voodoo 1.06 fixed it.

I'll report any future probems.

------------------

USGrant