Voodoo3/PC Strangeness

All my 3D graphics get severely corrupted during the playback phase. Over the course of 10-20 seconds the entire screen turns white except for the interface. There is no crash or lockup, just total video corruption. I can save at that point, quit and relaunch the game and all is fine until the next "movie" phase.

I'm using the latest official drivers from 3Dfx (WHQL 1.05). My card is not overclocked, and all settings are at 3Dfx default. I seem to have no problem with other software. Is anyone else experiencing this?

------------------

Smoker out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big Time Software

What version of DirectX are you running (if it's not v7.0a, you should upgrade to that). What kind of 3D card do you have? What are your other system specs?

Charles

Smoker I am having the exact same problem with my Voodoo 3 3000 card. As you play the game whites all out and becomes unplayable but I can save it. Smoker you describe it exactly like it happens on my computer. I have to stop the game completely and restart the saved game after the restart unlike your expeirence.

Charles I have a Voodoo 3 3000 video card, 128 megs of sdram, 48X Cdrom, P3 600Mhz, most up to date 3dfx drivers. I have DirectX 7.0a on my machine. I have updated Combat Mission to version 1.03

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by howardb:

I've heard about people having the game crash on them but so far it's never crashed on me. I've had it running for several days in a row without any problems whatsoever. Strange. I got a Geforce though maybe that's why.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problems on Win 98 SE and naturally with a 3dfx video card.

Tony.

I'm running Win98 original edition, Voodoo3 3000 retail, latest approved drivers, DX7.0a, PIII 733 with Tyan Trinity 400 mobo, Soundblaster Live! Value, latest drivers, ViewSonic monitor.

The game works fine when I pop in my Geforce 256.

------------------

Smoker out.

[This message has been edited by Smoker (edited 08-03-2000).]

I've been following the other related thread too, but I'll post here as it is the more recent...

Same problem - view screen goes white over a short time period (looks like each of the textures getting deleted, one at a time).

The problem has so far only occurred in "All or Nothing", but then it's only the 3rd scenario I've played and easily the largest.

Quitting and restarting the game usually, but not always, fixes it. If it doesn't fix it then I can run another 3d game and that will clear the problem for a while.

Problem occurs virtually every move in "All or Nothing" if I do a lot of scrolling around. However it is almost eliminated by avoiding scolling and using ctrl+click to jump around the screen. The problem then becomes fairly infrequent.

Scrolling in this scenario is sluggish at the best of times and there is a noticable further slow down just before the onset of the "whiteout".

My system is Voodoo 3 2000, Celeron 400, 128MB Ram, latest Voodoo drivers (downloaded last week), DirectX 7.0a, Windows 98.

Interesting that Control-clicking to move around reduces the frequency of the problem. I hadn't discovered that before I gave up and put in a Guillemot Geforce SE. You can get one for less than $150 now. It's a tad slower than other Geforce cards (clock & memory speed)but I don't notice it.

There's also the new Geforce MX to consider. That one might be an even better value.

------------------

Smoker out.

I installed CM on my Win98, Celeron 400, 128 Mb machine with a Voodoo 3 2000 card using the original drivers. I played for three weeks, happy as a clam, and everything was running fine. Or, at least I thought it was until I read the many posts out here and was informed that I wasn’t seeing the good smoke, but the blocky square smoke. So, I set off and downloaded the latest and greatest WHQL 1.05 drivers. Immediately launching a quick battle, I fired smoke from all my mortars and paraded all my vehicles in front of the Germans. (You know, when I play for real and hide behind a building those tanks seem to flame up on the first shot, while in this case it took five abandoned vehicles before that sixth finally went up!) The smoke was magnificent and I was even happier!

During the next full length QB, about turn 15 or so, all infantry units seem to have dropped their weapons and replaced them with white baseball bats. Shortly after, all vehicles, houses and trees were so terrified by the appearance of the bat wielding units that they engaged their all white cloaking devices and hid. Luckily, a few seconds later, a freak blizzard moved in and turned everything white causing a delay in what was becoming a very bizarre battle. A save, exit the game, restart of CM, and reload of the saved game got everything on back on track.

That was when I used the search feature and found this thread. Seeing that version 1.05 and 1.04 were mentioned as having these problems, I figured that down grading to 1.03.00 Dx7 was worth a try. Smoke still works good, but now my units arm themselves with pink, tan and light green bats before a Technicolor blizzard suspends the battle.

Has anyone tried any of the other archived versions of the drivers?

Maybe the old smoke wasn’t that bad after all…

Guest Big Time Software

The Voodoo3 engineers have just told me that they were able to reproduce this "white out" problem and it's related to a bug in their driver. They are starting to fix it now.

In the meantime, they said that the problem tends to be worse at higher resolutions and sometimes will not appear at lower ones.

I will keep you apprised!

Charles

I have a PIII 500 128 Meg with a Voodoo3. I get Flashing colors that turn the screen white after a few minutes, I exit the game and start again and thinks are fine for a while. This seems to happen in the large engagement games. No other problem with other game. From the responses I have seen to your question I do believe we have a bug...

Guys do this little trouble shooting trick and see if this resolves any issues. I had some issues with my V3 2000 AGP until I did these steps.

1st if you are running Microsoft Plus disable it or remove it. (This was the root of my problem and weird graphics)

If this does not help go to your start button and go to run.

Next type in MSCONFIG This will open up a grey box with man check box's and radio buttons. Click on the box that says remove from startup (I think thats the one since i'm at a NT system while typing and cannot look at the exact statement) Once you check this box you need to reboot your system. What this did was take out 99% of the stuff in your start up. This alone will cause havic in a system.

Hope this works Email me if you need help

dellwade@info2000.net

------------------

"Just Give Me the Prize" Kurgen

I dropped my resolution back to 1024x768 and encountered no problems (it did look good at 1280x1024 though!) Looks like there'll be no more half time bathroom breaks for me, have to wait for the entire battle to play out.

Thanks for the help and a great game.

• 2 weeks later...

Well crud. Pretty much says it. I was going fine at 1024x on the Tutorial, Aachen, and Walk in Paris. Also, the quick perusal of the big Snow scenario. However, I have been slogging my way through All or None. OMG. What a cluster f***. I am at about turn 23 and I can hardly get through setting up my next move before the textures go to texture heaven. Ugh. So, it is save quickly before it freezes, kill the game, and restart...finish out my set up and hit "Go!". Let me repeat, "Ugh..." I am about this far <holds up fingers a 1/4 inch apart> from getting a GeForce card. I will wait maybe another week to see if new drivers or some other tech help may come through! frown.gif

I love this game. I hate the hassles!

<rant mode off>

Emthon

BTS,

While, I'm not a programmer (at least not yet), I'm pretty certain that part of the problem might be with how CM handles AGP (it seems that all of the graphics problems-texture corruption on Voodoo cards and lockups on Nvidia cards-happen on AGP systems). I'm pretty sure thats why my TNT2 and (occasionally) my Geforce are locking up. (Personally, I think storing graphics info on system memory is a bad idea. Another strike against Intel).

Anyway, this is just a thought. Now back to turning the Eagle's Nest into a large hole in the ground.

------------------

As the bumper sticker says: "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"