Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Problems transferring files from a Mac to Windows

I'm trying to send some maps I just created to the Combat Mission Times but when he opens them in the editor it says that I have a different version of CM than him (which I don't). What am I supposed to do? I tried sending them as .cmb, .txt, .doc, .cmb.doc, and with nothing on the back of the name, but none of them would work. I also tried resaving them in the senario editor, but that didn't help either. Thanks,

Ryan

This IS very weird. I'm the guy he's trying to send them to and it's just not working.

When I try to run the files I get two different reactions:

1) When running it from the Editor it gives me a version error.

2) When running it from the regular game menu it just boots me out of CM without any error message or anything.

Will try to reinstall the v 1.12 patch and see if that does any good.

Panther G - I'd suggest zipping/compressing your files and then sending them. While this makes little to no difference in terms of the file size it should help prevent most types of corruption of the ASCII file that CM creates for scenarios/ops/maps.

You may also want to send a PBEM QB to Michlos and see if he can open it properly or not and possibly have him do the same to you (send a PBEM QB). If he still gets the error, then you may want to reapply the 1.12 patch yourself (and delete your prefs file).

I believe that somehow your files are becoming corrupt somewhere in the process of sending them to Michlos.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Panther G - I'd suggest zipping/compressing your files and then sending them. While this makes little to no difference in terms of the file size it should help prevent most types of corruption of the ASCII file that CM creates for scenarios/ops/maps.

You may also want to send a PBEM QB to Michlos and see if he can open it properly or not and possibly have him do the same to you (send a PBEM QB). If he still gets the error, then you may want to reapply the 1.12 patch yourself (and delete your prefs file).

I believe that somehow your files are becoming corrupt somewhere in the process of sending them to Michlos.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the software on my mac to zip the file and I have no other compression software. I can't reinstall the 1.12 patch as that's what came with my CD. In my PBEM Games the trick for me is to delete the .txt extension, and then they work on windows. I'm going to send him a QB PBEM, but I was just wondering if I can send him the PBEM file of my maps, and then he opens them in the scenario editor.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ryan

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Panther G ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther G:

[QB]

I don't have the software on my mac to zip the file and I have no other compression software.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Panther G,

You may want to try MacZip. Read more about it here:

Versiontracker Description page

Haven't tried it (Have StuffIt), but it seems to work.

Alternatively Michlos could use 'Stuffit for PCs'. It is being offered for $19.99. Here:

Aladdyn Stuffit for Windows

HTH smile.gif

Kolonel FLW

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Kolonel FLW ]

I suspect the problem is more an e-mailer problem then a CM problem. You probably need to play with your mailer settings. I suspect your mailer is trying to send a resource fork or something, which is confusing the PC.

Though, the other option is just to ZIP it, which, as you've already seen, also takes care of these kinds of problems.

Ben

Actually, I suspect that it is a problem with the mail software itself. I regularly play pbem with Steel1994. He is on PC an i am on a Mac, and we have had two different problems.

The first problem was when I sent files thru my Hotmail account, he was unable to save them into a format that would allow CM to open them. When I used my @home account which uses Outlook Express he received files that could be saved appropriately.

The second problem just manifested itself a few days ago when we started playing a 2000 point game. The first couple of exchanges went normally. On the second turn, with a file which was larger than 500kb, I had several different problems with Outlook on my end. I run Mac OS 9.1 (soon to be OS 9.2.1) with Outlook 5.02. When I receive the pbem files (up to now) they are the body of the text in the email as opposed to being an attachment. I then save the email to my pbem folder as a text file and then change over to CM and play the turn. When the file size went over 500kb, Outlook displayed a message saying that the message "contained code which your computer cannot understand" and displayed a blank message. I eventually got it to display the message with the usual (this message is too long for Outlook to display) error message which has never interferred with proceeding. I then saved the file in the usual way to the PBEM folder and attempted to open it in CM. Sadly the BING of nothing is going to happen in CM rang. I assumed that the file had been corrupted so I had my opponent send it again with the same result. I then had him send it again only Zipped. I recieved it and it worked just fine. So far I haven't had to zip the files going to him, but we will see what occurs in the future.

All of this leads me to believe that the way @home (hosted by Excite) my ISP is futzing with my files is causing the problem or there is a problem with Outlook Express. It is a hard thing to test and so far the work arounds are easy, if a little frustrating. If anyone else has had similar issues with either @home or Outlook, I would be interested to hear.

Thanks;